• Page:

TOPIC:

Lexan Spoons Dec 18, 2016 5:11 pm #10486

• Steelie Don
  • Steelie Don's Avatar Topic Author
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 509
I recently watched a video featuring the use of trolling spoons made of Lexan plastic. They were called Salmon Buster spoons. They are made in Michigan. They look much like any other 4 inch spoon to me. There were uv types as well as glow ones that were claimed to glow for 8 hours after being lit up. They had prism tape, crush tape and different hook options. Sold for about 6 or 7 bucks also.

Anybody have any experience with these types of plastic spoons or any of a different manufacture? I copied a few pics to show:

My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Steelie Don.

Lexan Spoons Dec 18, 2016 5:18 pm #10488

• Dirty
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1680
Big Weenie has some too. I have one or two and only tried one once. I think the potential advantage is more action at slower speeds. Probably good to run with a FF program.
Boatless!

Lexan Spoons Dec 18, 2016 5:27 pm #10489

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
Do you think they are worth trying out? I know Lexan is near unbreakable in some applications but a thin plastic spoon looks iffy. The one or two advantages I see are no rusting or paint flaking off as the color is in the plastic. I would try them if you could get one or two, but you have to have 30 dollars worth to make an order. I have not seen them in the big sporting goods stores yet.

Lexan Spoons Dec 18, 2016 5:32 pm #10491

• Dirty
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1680
I think they could potentially be another tool in the box. I think it would require heavy testing. Can they replace our metal spoons? Possibly - but probably not. Probably worth a try when running FF or DF program at slow speeds, 2mph give or take.
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steelie Don

Lexan Spoons Dec 18, 2016 7:37 pm #10496

• Regulator
  • Thank you received: 29
I caught steelhead on almost every trip in the summer on the HRP1 spoon. I know others who had the same experience. for some reason steelhead seem to really like the action. I had all my hits with core using those spoons. If you do order, make sure you order at least two of them. I plan to buy a few more this year and run a side by side spread of them for a couple of trips. On a side note, it's interesting how Big Weenie appears to come up with new tackle right after King does.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steelie Don, dogsbestfriend

Lexan Spoons Dec 18, 2016 9:01 pm #10499

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador

I caught steelhead on almost every trip in the summer on the HRP1 spoon. I know others who had the same experience. for some reason steelhead seem to really like the action. I had all my hits with core using those spoons. If you do order, make sure you order at least two of them. I plan to buy a few more this year and run a side by side spread of them for a couple of trips. On a side note, it's interesting how Big Weenie appears to come up with new tackle right after King does.....

Did you order yours direct or did you find them in a store or shop somewhere? Did you try any other color pattern? The guys in the video favored HRP pattern. They caught both salmon and trout in the vid.

Lexan Spoons Dec 19, 2016 6:53 am #10500

• honda cat
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 222
BEEN USING THE JOHN KING VERSION FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS NOW THEY WHERE PROTOTYPES AT THE TIME i I LIKE THEM BECAUSE THEY WILL HAVE A GOOD ACTION AT SLOWER SPEEDS THAT BLEND WITH HIS MEAT RIGS AND LARGE PADDLE PRESENTATION WOULD NOT GO AS FAR TO SAY THEY WILL REPLACE ALL THE TRADITIONAL METAL SPOONS
I SELL JOHN KINGS MEAT RIG STUFF IN MY STORE BUT NOT HIS SPOONS HE ONLY SELLS SPOONS DIRECT TO THE END USERS HE CAN NOT KEEP UP WITH THE DEMAND
LOTS MORE VIDEOS HERE

www.michiganangler.com/
Frank Martin
USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master
Great Lakes Inland Waterways
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
owner Calumet Marine .com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steelie Don

Lexan Spoons Dec 19, 2016 9:42 pm #10504

• Regulator
  • Thank you received: 29
Did you order yours direct or did you find them in a store or shop somewhere? Did you try any other color pattern? The guys in the video favored HRP pattern. They caught both salmon and trout in the vid.[/quote]

Ordered mine directly from his site. As HondaCat noted, he only sells spoons via his site. I used the SUV pattern and caught lakers on it. I think I also have Mojo pattern and a Blue pattern. I only had luck on HRP and SUV. But as I noted earlier, steelhead really liked the HRP- for me at least. King claims the key to his spoons are their speed tolerance. I don't think they are a game changer but they do catch fish. As I said earlier, I'm going to definitely buy a few more but I'm always buying stuff that I don't need over the winter.

Good luck and if you buy some please post your results!

• Page: