• Page:

TOPIC:

Ball weight and shape Jun 05, 2018 5:40 pm #19912

• Jums
  • Jums's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 117
I need heavier down rigger balls due to getting too much blow back after 60 ft. I was thinking of just jumping to 15lbs. I run Magnum Metalz electric riggers so I'm pretty sure they can handle them with ease. I'm trying to find half way cheap ones the cheapest I found are pancake style and fish shaped I've never ran either of these so was wondering if anyone can give me some insight how these track and if they are worth it. Also, is 15 lbs overkill?
Handle- "Firefly"
2009 Hewes Craft Sea Runner 200
2016 Alumacraft Competitor 175

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ball weight and shape Jun 05, 2018 6:42 pm #19914

• BigEdV
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Winter Maintenance
  • Thank you received: 361

I need heavier down rigger balls due to getting too much blow back after 60 ft. I was thinking of just jumping to 15lbs. I run Magnum Metalz electric riggers so I'm pretty sure they can handle them with ease. I'm trying to find half way cheap ones the cheapest I found are pancake style and fish shaped I've never ran either of these so was wondering if anyone can give me some insight how these track and if they are worth it. Also, is 15 lbs overkill?

I can't answer from experiance. I just picked up 2 10 lbs fish shaped and the guy I bought them from would bend the tail to make them directional. He said he liked them because he could get them to go out to the sides by doing that. I imagine the pancake will also bend. I was running I think 12 lbs the last two times I was out and they were not nearly as bad as I thought they would be pulling up on my manual downriggers. I wouldnt thing the 15 should be too much of an issue but check what the MFG of the downriggers has listed as max weight (if they do). Not sure how you can go too much weight other than the size/spook factor to the fish but I am still new at the riggers so its mostly opinion.
-Eddo-

2014 Alumacraft competitor 175 aka "The Geek Squad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jums

Ball weight and shape Jun 05, 2018 7:29 pm #19916

• Pikesmith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 693
I run 14# troll rites on my corners. Track great, not as much blow back. Don’t know their price point compared to others. Have read some people’s complaints about the pancakes not tracking real well when there is a subsurface current crosswise to the boat. I have never run them though, so no personal experience to back that up.
One thing to consider is how solid your riggers are mounted on the boat. I ran 10’s for a year and didn’t like the blowback when fishing deep either, but when I went up in weight the amount of flex I got in the gunnels bothered me. So I ended up having to do some work reinforcing the gunnels underneath my tracks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jums

Ball weight and shape Jun 06, 2018 1:46 am #19917

• Jums
  • Jums's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 117
Thanks yes I might follow suit with the troll rights that's more of a style I'm comfortable with and think is better for tracking purposes. My riggers are mounted solid so should be fine. I appreciate the response.
Handle- "Firefly"
2009 Hewes Craft Sea Runner 200
2016 Alumacraft Competitor 175

• Page: