• Page:

TOPIC:

Fluoro vs Mono Jan 03, 2019 2:24 pm #21947

• scoffer
  • scoffer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 243
I have been running 20 lbs mono for leaders to this point. Sounds like a lot of people run fluoro instead. Is this just because it's less visible than mono?

Should I also consider switching trolling fly rigging from the standard 40-50 lb mono that seems to come standard with most pre rigged trolling flies?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fluoro vs Mono Jan 03, 2019 3:33 pm #21948

• raven
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 73
One thing I notice about fluorocarbon was I lost a lot of equipment. For some situations it might help you catch some fish but most of the time the fish are feeding so it does'nt seem to matter. 20 pound big game is all I run and 50 to 60 for fly leaders. If you do decide to try fluoro my advise is to run 20 or 30ft and then after every fish check your line (which you should do anyway) and cut and retie. Seems like the lightest nick will cause line failure. This is my experience so take it for what its worth. Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: dogsbestfriend, scoffer

Fluoro vs Mono Jan 03, 2019 5:16 pm #21953

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1679
I will put in my two pennies:

For trolling, I dont truly believe that Flouro does anything for you. With that being said, I acknowledge there "might" be a slight advantage so I run Flouro on all my leaders. Getting a really good Fluoro leader is important if your going to use it. Like raven noted, if you use the wrong line, your going to empty your wallet and lose fish and tackle. I learned a harsh lesson at last years Coho Classic.

With all this said, I now only use two lines on my boat and I fully trust both:
1) Big Game 20lb (on riggers and occasional leader if I run out of fluoro)
2) Bloodrun Fluorocarbon Leader XL 20lb (leaders on coppers/leads etc.)

All in all, the fish are chasing a shiny moving object. I doubt they see the line, and if they do, I doubt they care............but just in case they do on occasion..........I use the Fluoro leaders ;) ;)
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wallin, scoffer

Fluoro vs Mono Jan 03, 2019 5:30 pm #21954

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 509
25 pound big game is a dandy downrigger line and I have been using 40 pound big game clear for fly leaders myself. It ties better knots than the 50 pound. A quarter pound spool of the clear is also dirt cheap at about 8 bucks. Just my 2 cents.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scoffer

Fluoro vs Mono Jan 04, 2019 12:02 pm #21960

• scoffer
  • scoffer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 243
I've been using BPS Excel 20 lbs line and have had no problems. Seems pretty comparable to Big Game, and cheap for a 1500 yd spool. Not that Big Game is really that expensive though...

You will probably laugh, but I ended up buying a spool of 50 lb Eagle Claw line from Walmart for a couple bucks to mess around with tying trolling fly rigs. That stuff is dirt cheap, hard as nails, and ridiculously stiff. Seems like it might actually be a good choice for trolling flies?

Anyways, I was considering buying some Seagur STS fluoro to try out. 20, 25, or 30lb for regular leaders and 50lb for flies. Anybody have experience with this line?

Last edit: by scoffer.

Fluoro vs Mono Jan 04, 2019 4:43 pm #21961

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1679
I have used the Seagur STS and found it to be very good leader material. Just got a little expensive.
Boatless!

Fluoro vs Mono Jan 08, 2019 5:36 am #21994

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1376
I almost always use fluorocarbon line. Always as a leader material, either as a leader at the end of mono or braided line or leader between the dodger and fly. I've used several brands, never had much issue with any of them. Currently, I'm using Berkley Vanish - 20 pound on leaders at the end of mono or braid to a spoon or plug. 30 as a fly leader on "coho" flies - peanut and other smaller ones. I use 40# for full-sized flies and Spin N Glow rigs for lakers. Look on YouTube for the fluorocarbon knot. Shaw Grigsby has a good vid.

• Page: