Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Braid Question Mar 01, 2019 3:43 pm #22387

• scoffer
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 243
I like the Suffix 832 a lot but it's pretty salty unless you find it on sale. It's all pretty salty really! The price of that SeaKnight line Steelie Don mentioned is very appealing, probably going to have to give that a try at some point.

I found a 1500 yard spool of the 30# Power Pro Super 8 Slick in Marine Blue on Amazon for $100, so I pulled the trigger. Gonna give it a try this season.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Braid Question Mar 01, 2019 7:32 pm #22389

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1681

I like the Suffix 832 a lot but it's pretty salty unless you find it on sale. It's all pretty salty really! The price of that SeaKnight line Steelie Don mentioned is very appealing, probably going to have to give that a try at some point.

I found a 1500 yard spool of the 30# Power Pro Super 8 Slick in Marine Blue on Amazon for $100, so I pulled the trigger. Gonna give it a try this season.

Agreed - I used 832 for quite a while, eventually went back to power pro. Performs great and saves me $$.
Boatless!

Braid Question Mar 02, 2019 9:02 pm #22398

• scoffer
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Tackle Direct had 300 yd spools of Hi-Viz Yellow 40lb standard power pro on clearance for $12 each last year. Perfect backing for the copper reels I set up at the time. Should have bought more and am kicking myself for not doing so.

Braid Question Apr 10, 2019 2:34 pm #23233

• scoffer
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
BNature, do you have any issues with running free sliders when using braid main line? With there not being as much blowback on the braid, I was just wondering if the sliders would run correctly or if they'd just end up sliding all the way down to the main release at the ball.

Braid Question Apr 10, 2019 3:50 pm #23236

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
The braid doesn't eliminate blow back, only keeps it to a minimum. Your sliders will work just fine. May not be identical in depth but who's to say that difference isn't better. Never say never, but when I'm switched over to braided line it's because I'm fishing deep. Quite often when running that deep I find fixed sliders to be superior to free sliders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scoffer

Braid Question Apr 10, 2019 4:05 pm #23237

• scoffer
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks. That brings me to another question. What do you use to fix your sliders on braid?

Braid Question Apr 11, 2019 7:54 am #23243

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
Just snug a #16 rubber band on the line. It will hold. If you think they are sliding, then do as I do when using rubber bands for downrigger releases. Wrap the line twice between finger and thumb. Double the band on the loops, snug the band tight then pull on each side of the loops to snug them down. The bands will then (sort of) be tied on the line, won't slip, but it's easy to free them once they are broken. Usually just a tug and the remaining knot or rubber band residue just pops apart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scoffer

Braid Question Apr 11, 2019 1:52 pm #23248

• Chudson29
  • Thank you received: 6
I've read this 3 times... I am considering buying down riggers for my boat. You've probably read, but I did finally catch some cohos 2 days in a row!! I am officially hooked. I am using 30lb mono right now trolling around 2mph. I was worried about what line to use when summer comes and I do purchase the equipment to go deep. I do have some divers (never used before yet) . So braid will work fine with the divers or riggers? or is wire the direction i should go? I'll buy what you suggest. Just too inexperienced to decide. I've been fretting this for a while. Thanks for all the advise you've given. My family has enjoyed the last two outings.

Braid Question Apr 11, 2019 3:17 pm #23249

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 509
Braid is great for divers and works with riggers if you have the right releases because of the small diameter and slick surface of braid. Stainless wire is used on divers also. You can use mono on riggers also and also on planer boards. I also use braid on my planer rods.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chudson29

Braid Question Apr 11, 2019 4:46 pm #23250

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 509
Braid for me is a “do all” type of line. Kind of works for most everything. Wire for divers is is a “special” technique type of presentation. Zero stretch and minimal blow back and greater depth and I was told once when I first got into the game something about the electric field generated by the wire in the water was a fish attractor. Basically the wire diver is another type of weapon to use on the fish. It becomes a dedicated rod to one use only which is something to consider if budgets are an issue. A braid filled reel can do more jobs for you.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chudson29

Last edit: by Steelie Don.