• Page:

TOPIC:

Short Copper Setups? Mar 14, 2022 4:21 pm #33453

• Steelie Don
  • Steelie Don's Avatar Topic Author
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 510
I have a couple of level winds, Daiwa 47H’s, on some med light rods to set up somehow. I am thinking about some short copper lengths on top of some 40 pound braid. Any thoughts on using 50 or 60 ft sections to target upper part of the water column. I already have the braid and 32 and 45 pound copper. Or anything else to try?
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Short Copper Setups? Mar 14, 2022 6:19 pm #33456

• raven
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 73
Hey Don, you can use those shorts like everyone who run short length leadcore setups. I don't use them cause I've got leadcore setups already but know guys that have short coppers 50ft75ft100ft. Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steelie Don, Bull

Short Copper Setups? Mar 19, 2022 5:27 pm #33608

• scoffer
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 243
50 copper with a Double Orange Crush or a Bumble Bee spoon goes out pretty much every trip until the surface temp gets above 70.  Great setup for Steelhead offshore and we catch Coho on it too, especially when the surface temp is 60 or below.  I've even caught small Lakers on that setup in 100+ FOW.  There's days where we are running a 2 color lead core on one side and 50 copper on the other as our far outside boards and the 50 copper will get bit and the 2 color won't get touched.  So I'd definitely recommend adding it to your arsenal.

I have read that 25 copper is a great setup for coho in the spring, though I have not tried it.  It's enough to keep a spoon or small dodger / fly under the surface a few feet.  I may try it this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steelie Don, Fish head

Short Copper Setups? Mar 19, 2022 10:21 pm #33617

• scoffer
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 243
After re reading the original post, medium light rods aren't really a good choice for board rods period.  Maybe OK if you are towing the mini boards (like a church tx6 or maybe a yellow bird) but otherwise that's just way to much constant pull for that light of a rod...  Would be a perfect rigger rod though.

Short Copper Setups? Mar 19, 2022 11:40 pm #33618

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
Also the best copper rods have stainless guides.  The knots are a little bulky and can knock the ceramic put of typical guides.  May or may not be an issue but something to consider.
Team Rippin'Lips

Short Copper Setups? Mar 20, 2022 7:31 am #33619

• BNature
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
There's certainly no reason you shouldn't do this but a few things to keep in mind. 
FiRST - copper hates you. (Especially the first 30 or 40 feet when you are setting it out.) 
SECOND - 50 feet of copper is only going to get your lure about 10 or 12 feet deep.  You can do this with 1 1/2 or 2 ounces of lead.  
THIRD - Besides depth - the advantage of both leadcore and copper is putting the lure way back of the boat.  50 or 60 feet isn't "way" back. 
FOURTH - Three colors of lead will go down roughly the same depth and put your lure 150 feet back.  Three colors with braid backing will fit nicely on a 47H.  
FIFTH-  Not that it won't work, when I used to run copper (I've switched to weighted steel) the shortest I ran was 100 feet and caught lots of fish on it.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steelie Don

Short Copper Setups? Mar 20, 2022 9:42 am #33620

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador

After re reading the original post, medium light rods aren't really a good choice for board rods period.  Maybe OK if you are towing the mini boards (like a church tx6 or maybe a yellow bird) but otherwise that's just way to much constant pull for that light of a rod...  Would be a perfect rigger rod though.

Thanks for the input. The Eagle Claw d.r. rods so happen to be all the unused rods I have left. The reels   are from a member sold me when I was looking to repair a broken 47H that I have. Spare reels and rods I don’t like to look at. Put them in service I am thinking. Otherwise I would have used med action rods.

Short Copper Setups? Mar 20, 2022 10:04 am #33621

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
I agree with your points BN about the short coppers. The playing out the copper line is a bit of a problem sometimes. I use Bloodrun copper and it is better than other brands about keeping memory coils to a minimum. Your comments on the snap weight usage is timely. I recently put together a homemade snap weight kit to add to my tackle tote. I made them from 1/2 ounce to 4 ounce weights. Made a couple of each weight. With those you can make a short section run as deep as you want. Thanks for your thoughts.

• Page: