Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dipsy Set Up Question Feb 26, 2023 7:35 pm #36487

• Meyers9163
  • Meyers9163's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Got 4 cold waters and ready to spool them. However plan to not only use them for some use on the big lake but also for walleye elsewhere. So not going to do wire on them at this point in the game but curious what pound braid most go with and then what backing? 

Keeping in mind I plan to use the same rigs for walleye and will just be adding a longer fluro carbon leader when I do that transition. 
Lund Tyee 1975
225 HP Mercury
Humminbird Solix 15
36 V Ulterra I-Pilot Link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dipsy Set Up Question Feb 27, 2023 10:14 am #36491

• Start Paddling
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 293
Still figuring it out myself but for my 30 sized convectors I went with 20 lb mono backing and threw 150 yds of 30 lb braid on top.  I wouldn't go outside of 20-40 lb test braid since anything bigger than 40 lb will most likely negatively impact your dive rate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meyers9163

Dipsy Set Up Question Feb 27, 2023 10:24 am #36494

• Tmik34
  • Thank you received: 1091
40lb power pro is what I have always used on braid dipseys. I don't skimp on test for dipseys there is a lot of force on them especially when a fish is on it. I also run a lot of flasher flies on dipseys so even more stuff hanging off them. If you skimp you'll be running back to the store quickly.
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

Dipsy Set Up Question Mar 03, 2023 7:44 am #36555

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1376
When Dipsy Divers were invented, I was one of the first people in the Great Lakes to use them - and I've been using them ever since. I'm not saying this is the best way, the only way, just that it's my way. Do it your way if you wish. Fine! I'd like to hear it, if it makes sense, I'll try it. But this works for me.

#1) Remember the goal for using Dipsey Divers is not to see how many of them you can litter across the bottom of the Great Lakes. I've caught fish using them with 15 pound line between the diver and rod tip. I also littered the bottom of Lake Michigan with several divers when using 15# line. So I switched to 20 pound mono. I caught just as many fish and lost almost as many divers. So I switched to 30# and bingo! I now own divers that are 20 years old. Problem solved
#2) Begin by spooling with 30# or heavier line. This is just to get the spool filled to where you are going to add the braided line. If you put on 150 or 200 yards of braid you'll never see this line again, so don't worry about its color, brand or strength. It's just filler. Remember, braid is quite thin, so fill it almost to the max for the reel - less than a 1/4 inch from full-spool. Don't cut the backing line yet.

Get somewhat scientific about it. You are going to worry about whether to set your diver out with 54 or 57 feet of line some day. That only makes sense if your reels measure line somewhat accurately and even then, the fish won't care as much as you do. So make your reels somewhat accurate.  Measure off exactly 100 feet in your yard or down the street.Zero the line counter and position the spool of line at the start of the 100 foot distance and then carry the reel to the end of the 100 mark. Check the line counter. If it reads less than 110 feet, crank on more backing until it's at 110. If the reel reads less than 100 feet at the 100 foot stopping point remove line from the reel until it reads 110.   Does this sound nuts? Remember - line counters only measure spool revolutions, not actual distance. There's all sorts of math involved but basically, an under-spooled reel measures long - an over spooled measures short. So you want the reel to be “slightly” under-spooled when you start adding the braid so it will be perfect when you add 150 – 200 yards of braid. Also remember, there’s no “perfect” amount but try to get it close or you’ll go nuts trying to fish with it. #3)  Go back to #1. Thirty-pound braid is plenty strong to not litter the bottom of the lake with Dipsey Divers. Twenty-pound is probably strong enough but I didn’t know that when I started using braid for Dipsey Divers back in the 90s when braid was invented. Almost all brands of braid are much stronger than their labelled strength – some brands by almost 100 percent. Braid labelled 20# will break at 30 or almost 40 pounds.

3A) Remember, one of the reasons to use braid is because it’s thin. The thinner the line on a diver rig, the steeper the dive curve. Everything being equal – speed, lure, diver setting, etc. – 100 feet of thinner line will pull a diver deeper than a thicker line. So use 40 or 50# braid if you wish, but why? I’d rather troll with 100 feet of line out than 120 – if the only reason is depth.

3B) There are some other reasons. For instance, if you plan to use two divers on a side – you might want to have 30# braid (or wire) as your low diver and then use 40 or 50# braid as the high diver to give the diver – lures more separation.

3C) Remember, Dipsey Divers both “dipsey” and dive and at times, the dip is more important than the dive. Like right now in the spring. The fish are near the top. Dipseys are an easy way to get another lure in the water out to the side of the boat. You want the divers to pull the lures wide, but not dive deep. So….

4) Once you have the backing and the braid spooled on you new reels, use a double-uni knot to add a topshot of 30# mono – 40 or 50 feet will do. The 30-mono is about 3 times as thick as the braid and even in the earliest spring, when I’m running the divers with 15 to 30 feet of line that will keep the divers somewhat shallower than they’d run on braid. When the fish go deep enough (15 feet or more) and I want to get divers to their depth, I peel off the mono and fish with the braid. 4A) I don’t run snubbers when “divering” with monofilament line for spring cohos. The mono is stretchy enough to guard against snapping the line on a strike.4B) I don’t run snubbers when I’m walleye fishing at Lake Erie using braided line. They don’t strike that hard.

5) Tie the diver to the line using a “double palomar knot.” with braid. Plenty of instructional vids on YouTube showing the knot. The DPK has won just about every knot competition I’ve seen for tying braid. GOOD LUCK
The following user(s) said Thank You: go4bigfish, Sundevil, Stroke of Luck, SweetDaddy, Meyers9163

Last edit: by BNature.

Dipsy Set Up Question Mar 03, 2023 8:24 am #36556

• Tmik34
  • Thank you received: 1091
I would also say don't fish mono on divers out more than 50-60 ft. Use braid or wire because of the no stretch. If you use mono out to far the stretch in the mono will not allow your diver to pop, while with braid and wire a little jerk with the no stretch will pop the diver right away.
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

Dipsy Set Up Question Mar 05, 2023 8:42 pm #36600

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 343
Everyone has tried, tested and proven methods for everything they use or used. I have copper lines, mono lines leader and braid now. I use fixed dipsys and slider dipsys. But the boat I had before this one and copper was something they used in Ludington and that part of the lake but on the southern end I used 17# mono for my riggers and 20# for flatlined, display divers and I never lost a dipsy and we caught a lot of 20 plus lakers 15 to 22 pound steelhead and 20 pound plus kings and coho. Believe it or not I bought BassPro premium fishing line and we changed it every spring.

We also used a lot of drop weights to get our flat lines to the depth we wanted and speed.

We set out drags so the clicker would click every once in a while depending on speed and waves

As a matter of fact I bought Basspro premium line for my mono lines on the boat I have now and its 17 and 20 pound. Counters are just that. If you fill all your reals the same then all your counters will be the same and will give you a good idea when they say: we caught that fish 65 down and 15ft behind the ball.

This is the way I learned and still do it today.

I've fought a king for 45 minutes before. We pulled all the lines and circled the fish keep it in the middle of the circle.

I've used lead weights on my diver rods to help get them down deeper but not very often.

Just listen to the older experienced guys and use what you can and you'll figure it out. Maybe go on a couple charter boats trips and see what they do?

Good luck

Dipsy Set Up Question Mar 06, 2023 6:00 pm #36611

• Baron2150
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
I use 50# Power Pro and do just what you intend to do using them at Erie when I head that way.  Works great and no littering the lake with divers.  Lol.  
Team Rippin'Lips

• Page: