Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Smoked salmon recipe Mar 22, 2017 9:56 am #12438

• Gillbilly78
  • Gillbilly78's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm in need of a good recipe I always used the one that was posted on the old southender forum it was simple and turned out really good! Needless to say I never wrote it down! Any suggestions would be great!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Smoked salmon recipe Mar 22, 2017 10:09 am #12440

• Jums
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 117
my base brine that I always use is 4 cups of water, 1/3 cup of kosher salt NO IODINE, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup maple syrup... then from there I'll tweak it with either fresh chilies, bourbon, or whatever I feel like playing with........ brine anywhere from 4-8 hours then drying rack in fridge for 12 hours, then cherry smoke till flakey at 170 for a nice smoke or 225 if you wanna get it done in less than 3 hours...... note* limit of fish or bigger fish may have to double the brine.......
Handle- "Firefly"
2009 Hewes Craft Sea Runner 200
2016 Alumacraft Competitor 175
The following user(s) said Thank You: dogsbestfriend

Smoked salmon recipe Mar 22, 2017 10:11 am #12441

• geo5
  • Thank you received: 1
I use 1 gallon water, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 2/3 cup kosher salt, 1/3 cup mollases, 5-6 crushed garlic cloves, soy sauce to taste. Let sit completely covered overnight. Let air dry 3 or 4 hours before smoking for 6 or so hours at 160-175. Can't keep it around once its done!

Smoked salmon recipe Mar 22, 2017 11:01 am #12443

• dogsbestfriend
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 537
Simple recipe is 1 gal. water, 1 cup canning salt, 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar. Soak for min. 4 hours to overnight.

Basting during the smoke process with real maple syrup or honey kicks any recipe up several notches, but is also quite messy.

And if you want to really ambitious, here is the winner from two of the last three Smoked Salmon Smackdowns (HCC event);
Ingredients for the winning brine included one gallon water, one cup kosher salt, one cup dark brown sugar. one cup pineapple juice, one-half cup orange juice, one-quarter cup lemon juice, one-quarter cup ground pepper and two teaspoons garlic powder,.
Mix all ingredients and simmer for one hour, let brine cool, then soak skin-on filets in refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours. Allow to dry for three to four hours, brush with honey.
Smoke low and slow.
"I usually start at 200 degrees to get wet (soaked in water for one hour) apple chips smoking, then lower to 170 degrees for two to three hours," Ryba explained. "Be sure to not over-cook your fish or it will be dry."

Smoked salmon recipe Mar 22, 2017 12:04 pm #12445

• Thundercat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 277
Go on the internet and watch

The A-MAZE-N-SMOKER video This smoker can be used in your existing grill; worth watching, temperature of smoke is 70F allowing you to smoke cheese, nuts etc

Alton Brown "Good Eats TV show" has a 1/2 hour on salmon smoking and can be viewed on youtube. Alton is a chef and food scientist and is on the food channels called Good Eats. He also has provides details on the internet on how to brine salmon and trout. On the video on smoking salmon he uses a hot plate, sawdust and cardboard box. I have the 1/2 hour tv show on smoking trout and 1/2 hour show on smoking salmon saved.
Although brine is important smoke temperature is probably the most important. Hot smoke (the smoke you can see) delivers an asphalt and tar taste to your food. The good smoke you cannot see delivers over 100 good tasting flavoring compounds. Burning sawdust keeps the smoke at the lowest temperature. Mesquite burns too hot and avoid any bark. I buy my hickory sawdust from the butcher store a few miles east of Lowell and from A-MAZE-N-SMOKER. In my smoker I use an electric burner, always use saw dust with a PID controller from Auber Instruments to control temperature. Remember the purpose of hot smoking is to deliver all of the good tasting flavoring compounds to the food. After this you can always move the meats or fish to an an oven to bring to temperature if you do not have good temperature control on your smoker

Bruce

Last edit: by Thundercat.

Smoked salmon recipe Mar 23, 2017 7:35 am #12464

• EAGLE EYE
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
Nice can't wait to try some of these as well

• Page: