• Page:

TOPIC:

Creek Oct 23, 2016 7:24 am #10077

• reel fun
  • reel fun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 202
Went up Friday and stomped around trail for old times sake. Knew I was late for salmon, and early for fall run steelies, but went regardless. I'll keep it relatively short, no hookup, none seen, water low and clear, few holes upstream that you cannot see bottom in..etc
The water downstream is doing the old ebb and flow like it used to do years ago, I'm sure the north wind was not helping that any, but at least there's water down there, but again, no action.
Saw one fish (steelhead) try to jump the ridiculous barrier and slam itself into the steel structure, I still shake my head and cringe when I see that. I know it's there for a reason (lampreys), but really feel sorry for the fish trying to jump that structure.
On another note, I caught creek chubs everywhere I went, at first, figured they were fingerlings bothering me until I started reeling a few in. In 25+ years of fishing the creek, the only chubs I ever caught were around the johnson road area, never anything lower, and they were prolific friday in all areas. Not sure what it all means, but sure as heck was aggravating.
At any rate, if you're thinking of going, I'd probably wait for a couple rain events to bring in some fall run fish, or to stain the water enough they won't spook so easy...that's if there's any there to spook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pikesmith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Creek Oct 23, 2016 11:13 am #10080

• bob
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 719
Thanks for the report Mike.
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

Creek Oct 24, 2016 5:13 am #10087

• kingme
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 331
I have a tree stand near the faaaaar upper reaches of trail creek and seen more salmon (I assume since they were really dark fish) than deer Sunday morning moving along the creek so they're still around.
If you have a way to keep those chubs alive til the winter the 3-4" sized fish make great bait for browns and bass thru the ice and the bigger chubs will get some pike and they keep better than suckers.
220v Starcraft Islander
"Canned Salmon"
16' sylvan backtroller select

• Page: