Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

will be looking for a new boat next year so ..... Feb 22, 2017 9:16 am #11438

• Chasin Tales
  • Chasin Tales's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 144
I've always had outboard motors never had an inboard. What are the pros and cons? Keep in mind that I would be looking for a 18-20' Deep-V with a 4 stroke (just so you can get an idea of the weight difference).
So what's your preference and why?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

will be looking for a new boat next year so ..... Feb 22, 2017 9:50 am #11439

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1395
I’ve had 2 different outboard powered boats used primarily on Lake Michigan and 3 different inboard/outboards. If I were in the market for a new boat, similarly sized to the Brother Nature, I’d shop both. I love fishing out of an I/O, not having the motor in the way, economy, even the engine box is a plus, giving a “workbench” in the rear of the boat.

I’d not overlook outboards - for me - a very real chance the boat would end its life in saltwater. Iron engines and saltwater are poor combination.

Well maintained, both will last you a lifetime.

Cold weather use (below freezing), slight nod to outboards. It’s not all that tough to drain an I/O. Took about 20 seconds on my 4 cyl boats, takes about 2 minutes on my current 6 cylinder.

I’d spend as much time considering glass or aluminum. I’ve had both. I’ll never go to back to aluminum.

will be looking for a new boat next year so ..... Feb 22, 2017 10:36 am #11440

• bob
  • Thank you received: 728
Mike said it well! I guess it will come down to what works best for you. I have an outboard and kicker on my Proline and have enjoyed it very much. Maybe you can get out with someone who has an inboard, then you can compare the two.
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

will be looking for a new boat next year so ..... Feb 22, 2017 9:51 pm #11453

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 516
I have owned nothing but aluminum boats and outboards. They always served well in most of the waters I launched them in. The Alumacraft I owned was used on Lake Michigan and that's where that type of aluminum hull's shortcomings showed up. You really have to pick your days up there. If your boat is a dedicated Lake Michigan boat you might want a glass boat because of their rough water capabilities. If you need a do all type boat a glass multi-species might be the best choice if you can afford them. You can shape and mold fiberglass into any shape you want, you can only bend and shape aluminum so much thats why glass boats usually ride better and they are usually much heavier and not bothered by wind as much. The upside to aluminum is lesser cost and easier to maintain. There are aluminum boats out there that will take the waves but their use as a shore line fishing rig is limited.
Outboards are expensive to buy but are easier to work on because they are exposed. Very reliable too these days. Inboards are cheaper to replace but are sometimes hard to work on without pulling the engine due to limited space in the hull. I am sure they are very reliable also. I don't think the inboards are as fuel efficient as an outboard. And as the others have mentioned outboards are better in cold weather. Good luck on your search.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

will be looking for a new boat next year so ..... Feb 23, 2017 6:19 am #11457

• honda cat
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 222
out boards sure extend the fishing season for us. Was a shot easy learning curve working around the outboards to net the fish in our case

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Frank Martin
USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master
Great Lakes Inland Waterways
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
owner Calumet Marine .com

will be looking for a new boat next year so ..... Feb 23, 2017 8:01 pm #11507

• netminder34
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
As said above most of your engines are going to be solid for years if properly taken care of. As much thought as you put into the engine I would double it on the boat. What type fishing do you want to do? I usually have a couple boats in the fleet as it is hard to get everything in one boat, but can be done. I have owned outboards, I/O's, and inboards they all have their advantages and disadvantages. If strictly a Lake Michigan boat as Frank said an outboard can extend your season. I just went back to an outboard as we wanted to do more traveling and camping. Can fish the big lake watching the weather a little more and try a little inland fishing while camping with the family. So I guess my point is make sure what type of fishing you want to do, then pick the boat best suited for you to enjoy it, then what type power plant options are for that style.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"

• Page: