• Page:

TOPIC:

832 Lead Core Jul 07, 2017 8:43 am #15191

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
I recently spooled up a 10 color lead core outfit with Sufix 832 Advanced Lead Core line. According to the manufacturer hype, it dives 30% deeper and is 70% stronger (and Infinitely more sensitive).

I’ve been using it the past few trips since the fish are now deep enough to make a 10 color long line effective. Two trips ago it was the stud rod on the boat taking approximately 50% of the bites against four other long lines - at times an 8 color, 10 color (both traditional LC) as well as 150 and 200 coppers. Was it the lure at the end or the line? No way to know but I did deploy similar lures with less success.

My question is if anyone else is using the 832 and thoughts about it. Probably will use any info or experiences in a future Great Lakes Angler magazine article.

Here’s some prelim thoughts. Thirty percent deeper is significant. The rule of thumb I use is about 4 feet of sink per color with regular core at medium speed with a spoon as the lure. Less with dodger/flasher, maybe a bit more with a plug on the end, deeper slower, higher/faster. It’s all a guess. Regardless, a 10 with a spoon at 2.5 using my rule is 40 feet. A 10 with 832 would be 52 (if the 30% hype is accurate.) That’s enough to be significant. According to some depth charts, that’s almost the same as 300 copper - 30 and 45 pound.

I’ve not gone out and tried to drag the bottom with it, but I’d be interested if someone ever did on purpose or accidentally.

Second topic: Though one would think the purpose of coloring each 10 yard segment of LC is so you can troll with various lengths of core simply by counting colors deployed. Years ago I was warned to not do that as the line would weaken rapidly at the rod tip and break with the strike of a fish. “Balderdash,” I thought!
#1) Why would that weaken the line? #2) Why else would lead core line makers color-code the line?

I can’t answer either one definitively but I suppose the lead inside the sheath somehow erodes the outer core from the inside. Number 2? Marketing? Make it easier to make 3 color, 4 color rigs, etc.?

Since the 832 sheath is made of a different stuff - GORE fibers - than conventional, is it still susceptible to being worn out from the inside. If not, maybe the same rig could be used as a 3, 5, 8 or other color. Anyone tried it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: dogsbestfriend, Storm1m

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

832 Lead Core Jul 07, 2017 2:42 pm #15201

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1682
I used it up until this year. I have switched to copper, although eventually I will probably rig up a few 832 rods once I get some more rods / reels. My experience was very positive, but my biggest concern was its 18lb test, however I never had it fail on me but always felt uneasy with it when a sizable fish was on. I found alot of areas where the lead broke and was poking through the sheath. Whether that is common on std leadcore I do not know so that may be a non issue.

I originally tried it out thinking I could get more of it on my smaller reels vs tradtional - and that was true and worked out well.
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Storm1m

832 Lead Core Jul 31, 2017 7:58 am #15771

• Storm1m
  • Thank you received: 22
I have a spool of 832 18lb. I could not get the mono in side to make the Willis knot. Which knot did you use. And how strong was your backer

832 Lead Core Jul 31, 2017 2:52 pm #15776

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1682
Double Uni knot. Backer i use is 50lb braid. leader is typically 20lb fluoro.
Boatless!

• Page: