• Page:

TOPIC:

Glow Rapala J-13's Aug 14, 2017 8:51 pm #15938

• Lickety-Split
  • Lickety-Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
Just got these back from Hunterboys Custom Paints. What do you think?
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: dogsbestfriend

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Glow Rapala J-13's Aug 15, 2017 5:56 am #15940

• EAGLE EYE
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
Those look awesome
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split

Glow Rapala J-13's Aug 15, 2017 6:15 am #15941

• bob
  • Thank you received: 722
Very nice Ed.
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

Glow Rapala J-13's Aug 15, 2017 9:49 am #15942

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1682
Man those look sweet Ed!
Boatless!

Glow Rapala J-13's Aug 17, 2017 7:08 am #15998

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
I've had good success with the "green" colored ones. I used to use electric lures for nite-kings that lit up red. Those were terrific. Makes me wonder about the glow-red. Perhaps there's some new paint but even on the paint the Moonshine company uses, the green glows the best, blue isn't much better than the old style glow-tape - fades quickly and needs recharging regularly. Red glow fades in a few minutes.

How lasting is the red being used now? Something new?

Glow Rapala J-13's Aug 17, 2017 7:55 am #16002

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Mike this is some new paint. It is easier for Jay to apply, so baits look like regular painted baits. The other paint was applied very thick to get proper glow.
Each paint color has a different glow time associated with it. Along those lines, you are spot on, green glows longest.
I think(without checking the chart) Green glow is like 3-4 hour glow, colored glow starts to go down from there. It was hard to have Jay blend the different colors together, but this new paint he ws able to do it. The red is the shortest glow color no matter if its moonshine or others. But, on the yellow one with red, and the green red 50/50, you can see that the red actually holds longer, with the red glow playing off the other bright glow. You cannot tell by looking at these when not glowing that they are in fact glow painted. So, these will work day or night
Lickety-Split

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Glow Rapala J-13's Aug 17, 2017 8:15 am #16003

• southshore
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 471
What are the prices like on his repaints? I'm sure some of it depends on how many lures you get done in each pattern. Does he do spoons? Do you think it'd be worthwhile to do a group order? Seems like if we could set it up so he could run multiple lures in a color scheme there'd be some savings.

Glow Rapala J-13's Aug 17, 2017 8:39 am #16004

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Good morning southshore,

I don't get involved with his pricing on orders. thats between the fisherman and Jay Hunter. I do know he has a min. for an order. I can tell you that there is more painter time involved then a regular paint job. More painter time= more $$$$$.
Glow paint is $$$$$ This all started years ago as a favor to me. I used to sell baits at the spring show and some were custom painted baits like the thinfins. First order years ago that I placed was for 150 red/black squiggle thinfins. That number now is more like 500. I have worked with 4 different painters, and long story short Jay gets all my work now. And over time we have developed a very good friendship. So as far as priceing and other, I stay out of the buisness end. I fish hard baits probably much more then others. When theres a spoon bite going I can still take the early fish on glow hard baits. Rapala f-13's f-18's, J-13's. thundersticks, lucky craft sp100's, shadraps, etc. Some of the guys I have fished with I proved to them that hard bait glows will take more early morning fish then glow spoons. Different action? something different? Fall staging kings really like them.
Over the years I have used them on all pieces of our arsenal. Dipseys, long cores,coppers, riggers and flats. In the 70's, we used to light up the glow j-plugs and run them on flats back and forth across the mouth of the ditch. First king always came on glow bottom pink top. followed up by glow bottom green back. Oh, almost forgot, guys are into UV? Glow paint shows up as UV under black light. I have a battery operated black light that I use to charge them up with.
Lickety-Split

The following user(s) said Thank You: Pikesmith

• Page: