Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tournaments Aug 24, 2017 5:38 am #16232

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1682

Another suggestion would be to use DNR rod limits. Coho club has been doing that on their club tournaments lately. Puts a slight advantage to larger boats that can handle 5 or 6 guys. Who cares. With 3 guys and 9 rods plenty of damage can be done if the spot and tactics are right. Limiting rods to 9 is unenforceable in my opinion.

This is a good topic to debate and we would like to get more peoples opinion on the subject - so everyone please chime in. The goal in the 9 rod limit is to try to not put the smaller boats at a disadvantage. You are right that it is difficult to enforce - we hope participants are sporting and follow the rules.
Boatless!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tournaments Aug 24, 2017 6:20 am #16235

• SafeCracker
  • SafeCracker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 94
I can relate from both positions here as I now fish in a boat that runs 12 rods as opposed to my own which is set up for 6.

No doubt there is a competitive advantage to running a larger number number of rods. You are able to target different presentations and depths to dial in a productive spread. More baits means a higher chance of catching fish.

The deciding factor to me would be how competitive is the tournament supposed to be. If it's a low stakes get together fishing event, where the tournament is basically the secondary purpose of the day, I love the idea. If the tournament is higher stakes, I would pass at being at a disadvantage. Most boats would be running 2 rods to my one.
Greg ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split

Tournaments Aug 24, 2017 6:33 am #16237

• Storm1m
  • Thank you received: 22
I personally agree with the rod limit. The tournament is supposed to be a fun get together low stakes event. There is no need to create advantages and disadvantages by the rules. All you need is 3 people in the boat to hit the rod cap. But unfortunately some people take a friendly competition too far in the fact they have to win. There are bad apples out there and the only thing you can do in my opinion is weed them out by asking a person who cheats or takes the fun out for other people is not too return
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Paul_L

Tournaments Aug 24, 2017 9:50 pm #16252

• BigEdV
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Winter Maintenance
  • Thank you received: 361
I fished one night tourney and it was fun although I think we got skunked and didnt make it back in by the weigh in. I never fish for anything other than the fun of fishing. I dont want to put a bad spin on my fun so even in a tournament I am really just there to meet people, fish and maybe pick up a few tips and hopefully have a laugh or two along the way. Apparently I missed some drama with this last one but I always kind of thought these were just mainly for fun and maybe walk away with a little cash or prizes in the end. I am a small boat and new on the water so I never would figure I had much of a chance, so maybe that is why I don't get really competitive.

When the cost went to x per boat it kind of put me out. I generally am only 2 people on the boat 3 at the most so the cost is rather high for me - for me the cost per person was a better plan. That is really the only thing that keeps me from fishing more tournaments that are within control of the southend ;)
-Eddo-

2014 Alumacraft competitor 175 aka "The Geek Squad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Sundevil

Tournaments Aug 24, 2017 9:59 pm #16253

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
Thanks Ed it is appreciated.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

Tournaments Aug 25, 2017 10:09 am #16258

• Steelhead
  • Thank you received: 34
Small boat, big boat, they both have advantages and disadvantages. When the lake is calm I can get out a lot quicker than thee with a 30 footer. I only run 6 poles yet my boat being small and quiet doesn't spook the fish as much on a pass. Some of the bigger boats also don't have the speed control that you can get from a small boat with a kicker. The devil resides in the details, their are many factors to take in account. Personally I just want to have fun and I truly appreciate the time it takes to organize something like this. Good grief just approaching every sponsor is a pain in the butt!. Bottom line I will examine the rules for ea tournament and make a decision based on weather and availability thank you for the colossal effort it takes to put one together. I'm in! I had a blast on the last one and conditions couldn't have been worse for my 21 footer.
2016 Lund 2075 Tyee Magnum "My Last Toy"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, Lickety-Split

Tournaments Aug 25, 2017 11:37 am #16260

• Baron2150
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
While I made the suggestion of using DNR rules for the rod count it was only made to eliminate a point of contention. I fish a small boat and enjoy the benefits when the lake is calm. However as we all know that is less than 50% of the time. Larger boats typically do have advantages when the waves are 2' or greater unless the fish are nearshore. 9 rods typically works well for me as three guys on board is pretty ideal in terms of overall comfort. Even when I have 4 on board I'll rarely run more than 10 unless the fishing allows running release style boards with similar baits like our spring program. The big tournaments that the Coho club puts on have the 9 rod limit. Their more laid back fun tournaments have allowed DNR rod limits. In my opinion 9 rods run in the right water with the right presentation is more than enough to get it done. Either way the rod limit wouldn't be a reason not to fish a tournament. I remember the 16' or so boat a few years back that won the Salmon Slam against many larger boats including some professionals. I like that kind or underdog story and it proves a well thought out plan is all that is needed sometimes.
Team Rippin'Lips
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split

Tournaments Aug 25, 2017 11:47 am #16261

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
Thanks Craig. Yep I remember those fellas and those fish they caught for that fall tournamnet. Everyones input is a big help. And the more ideas and options gives us something to work with. Knowing ahead of time that nobody or nothing is perfect but that also allows the fishermen to voice your opinion and ideas. Ideas and approaches are there to look at. We all have ideas and we all have ways that we look at things. Thats great. We all fish for the same fish but how many different approaches, different ideas, different baits etc. go into us making a decision to deploy the morning arsenal? When I was younger and worked as a 1st mate for different charters it was great for me. Each captain had their own way, style, and thoughts on why they did what they did. It allowed me to take from each of them and put something together for myself. Thats the beauty of getting everyones ideas out there. All ideas are good, and again many thanks Craig.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.
  • Page: