• Page:

TOPIC:

Tournaments Aug 22, 2017 12:11 pm #16176

• SafeCracker
  • SafeCracker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 94
Shouldn't the topic of tweaks to the tournament protocol should be an open discussion with the general members? You want input and ideas but lock a thread that a couple members had voiced opinion and suggestions. The "committee" hasn't really come up with a solution nor any noteworthy changes. This happens when there isn't an open discussion to new ideas.

Why is the turnout so low for everything but the Coho event? Why isn't there a larger number of boats that return after fishing one event? I don't think the small group of guys that fish every tournament can answer that.

Ask right here to everyone- what makes you not want to participate and are their changes that can be made to make it more inviting.

Tournament fishing can be intimidating to all fisherman, especially to fisherman that are at a beginner or moderate level of experience. How can the pressure and anxiety of fishing, even a low stakes tournament, be alleviated?

There will be as many differing opinions as there are fisherman as we all have our own reasons. But I don't recall them ever being asked. I've never been asked and I have participated in quite a few.

If you want to make your tournaments big time or if you want to keep them as meet and greet friendly get togethers is ultimately up to you. one thing that won't work is to try and have your cake and eat it too. There is no middle ground. Either it's a tournament or it's a friendly gathering and the rules and conditions should reflect that.

Of course this is all my opinion. Of course I am full of opinions.

One thing I did take issue with was the distribution of prize packs. Aren't they there to draw interest? Why would moderators that have secured some of donated items claim them? That doesn't pass the sniff test to me. I'm not here to criticize but I have a suggestion. Why not give the cash to the winners and the biggest prize packs to last place moving on up? That evens out both ends of the skill levels involved.

Other guys will have plenty of ideas if asked too.

If you guys stepped back and looked on from the outside you would begin to make out the appearance of a good ole boys club forming. I could be wrong, but that's the beauty of an opinion. It's mine. Don't you think that ALL the moderators should set an example of sharing fishing reports when they are out? Most do great job but not all of you. I've heard you guys on the radio and never seen a report. Afraid someone is going to fish on top of you?

Only time I ever held back a report was just before an event and then I gave a complete detailed report after.

That should be enough of my own opinions to digest for now. Who has any good tournament suggestions?
Greg ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bighornrmk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SafeCracker.

Tournaments Aug 22, 2017 5:40 pm #16180

• Storm1m
  • Thank you received: 22
I fished in the tournament in a small boat. I knew going in that we didn't stand much of a chance. Fish were miles off shore and there is nothing that can be done about that. Several people on the site have been helping me and I wanted to put a face to a name. I was happy with the way prize packs were distributed but maybe If you win money your out of the run for the prizes so more people can get some of the money back. Fact of the matter is if you title it as a tournament money will always be involved some people win some lose it's the way things work. If you want to get more people involved and take the intimidation out of if maybe make it an outing and have drawings or something for the prizes. Have some food afterwards and make it a social gathering when the fishing is done. Just some ideas again fishing sucked and that's not the tournament committees fault. It's hard to make a last second call with the weather when it was showing to be a nice day and it was pretty rough when we went out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, SafeCracker

Tournaments Aug 22, 2017 7:06 pm #16187

• Hooked
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 258
I feel obligated to put my two cents in. I love this site and really appreciate all the advice and camaraderie it brings to us like-minded people. I very much appreciate Jeff and the other mods that keep the site clean and user friendly. I have fished in exactly one tournament in my life and had the good fortune of having a great day that one day. I am not a tournament fisherman and never will be. After what happened after that tournament, I will never fish another tournament that involves money on my boat.
I do however, love the idea of having a site get together, fish, show off what was caught, and then everyone throw in together and have a meal afterwards. That way we would actually have the chance to talk and get to know each other. Prize packs could still be given to the most fish caught, biggest fish, or least amount of fish etc.
Maybe this is a ridiculous idea and nobody would show up, but I would if I could.
Mathew 4:19
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TAKIN IT EZ, Lickety-Split, bighornrmk, SafeCracker, Sundevil

Last edit: by Hooked.

Tournaments Aug 23, 2017 8:54 am #16205

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
I'll add my opinion even though I haven't fished a South End event yet, but I have fished several other tournaments. I have a few criteria that I use to decide if I am going to fish a tournament. I developed these criteria from real tournament experiences over the years. First the weather conditions have to be favorable. I fished the Classic a few years ago and ran from Michigan City to the reef North of New Buffalo and it got rough. It was miserable to say the least. Fishing was ok but being 17 miles from home in 3-5' waves in a 22' boat with water temps in the high 40's was not a good situation for me. Forecast said 2' waves and was wrong. If fish are nearshore I may fish with 3' waves at the buoy if I have an experienced crew. In many cases I'm fishing with my wife and kids and 3' at the buoy would not be fun or safe for an inexperienced crew so I would probably pass. Last I want to catch some fish. If fishing is dismal and the only option is 20-30 miles away I'll stay home. It's not even about winning, but more about having a fun, productive day on the lake with family or friends. I have fished tournaments in the desert and it is less than enjoyable. One last thought I really think Lake Trout need to be part of the mix in all tournaments. They aren't my favorite fish but they are somewhat reliable to catch and can be large. The silver may be close but they could be 30 miles away like last weekend. What if 3 of the 5 fish could be lakers? Now a guy can work 75-90 fow closer to home in rough water and have a real chance to get a box of fish to weigh. I get the idea of silver fish only but that only makes sense to me if there are silver fish within a reasonable and safe distance from port. 20-30 miles is not reasonable or safe on that unpredictable lake for my very capable 22' Lund in my opinion.
Team Rippin'Lips
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, bighornrmk, SafeCracker, Sundevil, Storm1m

Tournaments Aug 23, 2017 9:34 am #16214

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
I just want to say thank you for thoughts and ideas. We are listening and trying to figure out how to get more guys involved in our events. We know and understand that people's opinions will very greatly. We ask that NO ONE puts anyones opinions or ideas down in anyway. You are free to add to someone's ideas if you feel it's a good idea. We have all worked very hard to make these events fun and to get people involved. In the same respect we have not been perfect.
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, SafeCracker, Sundevil, Paul_L

Last edit: by Angry Pirate.

Tournaments Aug 23, 2017 1:55 pm #16217

• Storm1m
  • Thank you received: 22
I do want to add to the things I said before. I have no complaints about how the tournament was ran I think the committee did the best they could in a bad situation. There was no way to make Saturday really good. Fish were 30 miles and the guys who went that far still struggled. But I did get a fair amount back from the tournament as in prizes. I spent around $40 for my half of the entry fee and received around $20 to 25 back in prizes. I'll definitely fish all the tournaments I can. I think a lot of the issues were in avoidable and in the end it is the boat owners decision to go out if the water is choppy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Angry Pirate

Tournaments Aug 23, 2017 6:12 pm #16227

• raven
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 73
Is it time for another site? Been a moderator on many sites since the Internet started from lake michigan fishing, to the one this replaced the southend proboards to name a few and all they have in common is they all get replace with another site that start out with info sharing. Down falls have been from members bashing one another to tournament silence all leading to no fishing reports and no info sharing which the site was intended for in the first place. There's always going to be a a click, and many are not in it and they don't post. I don't post simply cause I have not been on the water like I once was years ago. I try to make it simple general location and spread I'm running depths on riggers and dipsys and lures working.

Don't think tournaments with money is a way to draw people together for a good time cause as seen here, there has been a lot of feuding in the last month and there was not much to fight for dollar wise. I'm not going fishing in 3 to 5fters in close or going 20 plus miles offshore for 4 or 5 fish unless the money justifies it. Your not even covering you gas cost. If getting people together and having a good time is the sites goal, then have all fishing events not tournaments where theres some fish in close throughout the year where boat size is not a advantage, make them shorter not till 2 or 3 in afternoon, and the prizes are sponsors items. The only cost for the event is for food and drinks. One other option which drew a good crowd was for charity and all proceeds going for it. There was food and drinks, prizes all donated or chip in by fisherman or sport shops. Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, SafeCracker, Sundevil, Paul_L

Tournaments Aug 23, 2017 6:34 pm #16228

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
Thanks for your thoughts Mike it is appreciated. I have to say I always enjoyed reading your reports on the old site. Short to the point, 100 percent honesty and you didn't give away your exact location but sure was clear on the approx. area were things were happening. It was always a big help, as its a big lake.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

Tournaments Aug 23, 2017 6:36 pm #16229

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1682
Yes - keeping them near shore is at the top of the agenda, if we continue them at all. We have tried different things throughout the past few years and continue to try to improve to make it the best we can.
Boatless!

Tournaments Aug 23, 2017 7:34 pm #16230

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
Another suggestion would be to use DNR rod limits. Coho club has been doing that on their club tournaments lately. Puts a slight advantage to larger boats that can handle 5 or 6 guys. Who cares. With 3 guys and 9 rods plenty of damage can be done if the spot and tactics are right. Limiting rods to 9 is unenforceable in my opinion.
Team Rippin'Lips
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Sundevil

• Page: