• Page:

TOPIC:

Rename a boat? Nov 19, 2017 8:25 pm #16984

• Hooked
  • Hooked's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 258
So is there a right or wrong way to rename a boat?
Mathew 4:19
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rename a boat? Nov 19, 2017 8:46 pm #16986

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
Seems we have similar concerns John :)

I am currently taking the approach of I don't give a rats ass and want her to be named what I want! lol
Boatless!

Rename a boat? Nov 20, 2017 12:52 pm #16990

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
There is a nice little ceremony to be done towards the god of the sea to be sure you have no bad luck. lol it's historical if you have fun with it. I have a buddy that did it over the summer and he made some videos of it and put it on Facebook. I will try and find them and I will send them to you later today John.
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.

Rename a boat? Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm #16991

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
The videos are no longer up but I found something for both of you.
www.boatnames.com.au/boat-naming-renaming-ceremony.htm
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hooked

Rename a boat? Nov 20, 2017 1:26 pm #16992

• Hooked
  • Hooked's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 258
That is awesome.
Mathew 4:19
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Rename a boat? Nov 24, 2017 8:00 am #17020

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1395
I once wrote an article for Michigan Outdoor News about this. I've cut and pasted it below.

NAMES AND RE-NAMES
By Mike Schoonveld
I just got an email from a friend bragging up his purchase of a new boat. Actually, it’s not new, it’s a pre-owned vessel, lightly used according to Mark, and comes complete with the name of the previous owner’s wife painted across the stern. “So I guess once I get it ready to fish, you’ll need to call for ‘Milly’ when you hail me on the radio,” wrote Mark.
It’s bad luck to change the name of a boat, so the legend goes. But really? Does Mark really have to spend the next several years bobbing around the lake in a boat named Milly? If it were me making the choice between Milly for the name of my boat and risking Neptune’s ire for renaming the vessel something more suitable, I’d be buying some paint remover. Milly would have to go.
It’s a common problem. Each summer lots of boats are sold, traded and upgraded. That means there are hundreds of people around Indiana now facing, or soon to face, the same problem as my friend Mark.
Fishermen, more than most any other group of people, are superstitious. It’s bad enough being out on the water on a slow fishing day and wondering if you need a new lucky hat, lucky lure or lucky underwear. What if the whole boat is cursed?
So I did some research and discovered there is a way to change Milly to Fish-Killer without tempting fate or riling King Neptune. It will take some planning, a bit of work, a trip to a liquor store and several formal invitations to the ceremony.
Step one is removing all traces of the old name from the boat. “Milly” on the stern has to go. Scrub away Milly on the life ring as well as any other mentions of Milly including the logbook or maintenance records.
Step two is to head to the liquor store to purchase some champagne. At least two bottles are required. Additional bottles can be procured, depending on the number of guests you invite to the party; oops, ceremony. Or stick to 2 bottles of bubbly and serve Bud Lite to the guests.
Step three is to inscribe the boat’s original name on a rock, a coin, an old Daredevle spoon or some other object.
The ceremony itself has two parts to it. According to legend, each and every vessel is recorded by name in the Ledger of the Deep and is known personally to Neptune, the god of the sea. The first part of the name changing ritual is to purge Milly from the Ledger of the Deep and from Neptune’s memory.
In front of the assembled guests, you, the boat’s master, should invoke King Neptune’s presence and ask him to expunge the name of this boat, Milly, from all his records and recollections. As proof the you, Captain Fish-Killer produce the rock, coin or Daredevle bearing the name, Milly, then drop the trinket into the water over the bow of the boat. To seal the deal, pour half of the first bottle of champagne into the water for Neptune, the remaining portion of the bottle is shared among master, crew and guests in a toast to King Neptune.
The second part of the ritual is the renaming ceremony. The new name for the boat can be painted or installed in advance, but should be covered with bunting or some other material until the ceremony is complete.
Now, you again invoke Neptune’s presence with a salutation along these lines: “Oh mighty ruler of the lakes and oceans, we pay homage. We also implore you to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel, hereafter and for all time known as Fish-Killer. We also ask you to bless and guard this boat to ensure safe and successful journeys within your realm.”
Neptune must be something of a lush since the conclusion of the renaming ceremony is much like the name-purging ritual. The second bottle of champagne is opened, half goes into the water and the other half poured for master and crew in a second hearty toast. At this time, the bunting can be removed and the boat’s new name put on display.
So Mark, get to work on ol’ Milly, removing all trace of the former name. Then let me know when the party; oops, ceremony, is scheduled. I’ll be there!
THE END
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hooked

Rename a boat? Nov 25, 2017 7:05 am #17029

• Plane to Sea
  • Thank you received: 210
Good reply Mike, although It looks like the liquor store is short one bottle of champagne!!! Lol

• Page: