• Page:

TOPIC:

Would you rather know or NOT? Nov 27, 2017 10:07 am #17033

• honda cat
  • honda cat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 222
A Guy comes into my store and asked me if I can match this deal ?
I can NOT because it is not a legitimate offer and I have seen this before
I have in the past tried to explain and I would think its the rite thing to do
But this is proven to be. uncomfortable and nearly impossible conversation to return any positive results from
Q: would you rather know or not you have been ripped off ?
I don't want to or have any one become uncomfortable in my store for any reason would I just be better off not telling some one ?
the warm a fuzzy feeling of boating / fishing is immediately gone or they get super embarrassed none of it is really good
and might now never return, thats not good either !
so should I simply reply 'Sorry can't match that offer' ?

to further explain

in the last year there has been couple a year and all of a sudden a rash of these deals
>it looks like the genuine Evinrude Honda Mercury or Suzuki sites
>. deal is thousand less than any where else especially on bigger motors
> usually found on Facebook Craigslist or any number of fishing forums pages

>>>> the clues the deal is a fake fishing scam there is a S or a easily mistaken misspelling in the address bar

>>>>> total amount for motor including shipping is not required

two things the rip offs are looking for

your personal information

and your money or both

they are going to get at least a 500.00 deposit or thousands with your identity

guys have been coming into our store with a order conformation printed off of their computer
looks exactly like the official site etc
They want me to MATCH THE DEAL and don't believe its fake THEN they want me to get in touch with the company (most recently Honda)
in this case as many before Honda says "thats not us" usually to late to get deposit back

and immediately they know they have been Ripped off If their real lucky its just for a deposit usually a lot more
remember their is a time limit you can get your money back from credit card companies if this happens and this motor order deal with free shipping usually makes it impossible to get you money back

don't let this happen to you and remember we match any legitimate deals you can find on line or any where else
NO ONE CAN MATCH OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COME CLOSE
Frank Martin
USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master
Great Lakes Inland Waterways
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
owner Calumet Marine .com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Would you rather know or NOT? Nov 27, 2017 4:33 pm #17036

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
That’s a very tough situation Frank. Maybe the way around it all is to tell them no I can not match that deal. then just give them facts about all the scams going on now. Then give them examples of what happens but don’t tell them directly that they got screwed. Let them go home and do the research themselves so they can get embarrassed in there own home. If they ask you directly if it is a scam just say you don’t know and they should go home and check it out because you don’t want to give them bad info and scar them. I do agree with you if someone gets embarrassed bc they did got screwed chances are they will not come back too you. Bc at that point they feel dumb and don’t want you to think that of them.
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.

Last edit: by Angry Pirate.

Would you rather know or NOT? Nov 28, 2017 5:35 pm #17045

• BigEdV
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Winter Maintenance
  • Thank you received: 361
I Agree with Angry Pirate - I would mention the scams and tell them to just make sure it is a legit deal because you don't want to see anyone get taken. Its a tough spot since if you do not present it right, you can come across as just an angry business person rather than a considerate person.
-Eddo-

2014 Alumacraft competitor 175 aka "The Geek Squad"

• Page: