Proposed Gill Netting Dec 22, 2017 10:34 am #17207

• Lickety-Split
  • Lickety-Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
Lake Michigan Angler
1 hr · Waukegan, IL ·
Gill Nets Proposed for Wisconsin in Southern Lake Michigan.....
We need your help to stop this!!!!!
Please read and send an email.

There is currently a commercial large mesh gill net fishery study proposed for Lake Michigan. Currently, such large mesh gill nets are allowed in Wisconsin Lake Michigan waters north of Bailey's Harbor and in Green Bay but are not allowed south of Bailey's Harbor due to concerns about the potential impact they may have on other game fish through unintentional bycatch and mortality and user conflicts. Commercial fishers have requested the ability to use large mesh gill nets south of Bailey's Harbor to the Illinois Border to more efficiently harvest their whitefish quota and the Department of Natural Resources is open to considering a large mesh gill net study in this area. Discussion on this topic at the last Natural Resources Board meeting was more than what was expected and this topic was tabled for a later date. Members who do not support this study are being asked to contact the Wisconsin Natural Resources Board and express any concerns they may have regarding this study. Every opinion is important and represents roughly 1,000 concerned citizens. Understanding that everyone’s time is valuable we have created a few templates that can be copy and pasted for communication to the Wisconsin Natural Resources Board. Feel free to use one of these templates or draft your own response to this study.
All input should be sent to: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Email Template 1:
DNR Natural Resources Board,
I understand that you are currently proposing a large mesh gill net fishery study to be conducted south of Bailey’s Harbor. As an avid recreational sport fisherman, I do not support such a study. It is my opinion that such a study can increase the likelihood of injury and/or damage while fishing and/or boating on Lake Michigan. As a sportsman, I am also concerned with the possibility of this study’s bycatch causing further damage to an already fragile fishery.
Regards,
INSERT YOUR NAME
Email Template 2:
Wisconsin Natural Resources Board,
I recently discovered a fishery study on Lake Michigan that you have proposed. Utilizing large mesh gill nets south of Bailey’s Harbor deeply concerns me, and I do not support such a proposal. As a sport fishing angler we have seen many changes with the Lake Michigan ecosystem. Such changes have led to decreased catch numbers, size and further distances to travel in search of fish. By allowing this study to occur there is an increased risk to our fishery and the businesses that rely on the sport fishing and charter fishing business that this fishery provides. I am concerned that by allowing this study to move south of Bailey’s Harbor there will be substantial bycatch as well as increased navigational obstacles that pose a serious safely risk.
Sincerely,
INSERT YOUR NAME

Thank You helping stop this disaster.......
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.

Proposed Gill Netting Dec 22, 2017 11:30 am #17209

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
This is getting to close to home.
Lickety-Split

Proposed Gill Netting Dec 22, 2017 4:24 pm #17210

• BigEdV
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Winter Maintenance
  • Thank you received: 361
email Sent
-Eddo-

2014 Alumacraft competitor 175 aka "The Geek Squad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split

Proposed Gill Netting Dec 28, 2017 5:40 pm #17245

• BigEdV
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Winter Maintenance
  • Thank you received: 361
Here is the reply I got:

Your email has been shared with the Wisconsin Natural Resources Board as well as with appropriate department staff for their consideration. On behalf of the Board, I would like to thank you for your comments related to a mesh gillnet study in southern Lake Michigan.

Please be aware that each Wisconsin Natural Resources Board meeting is webcast live. You can forward the following link and information to others so they can watch the meeting. Go to dnr.wi.gov/about/nrb/agenda.html and click Webcasts in the Related Links column on the right. Then click on this month’s meeting. After each meeting, the webcast will be permanently available on demand.

If you have not done so already, I encourage you to “subscribe” to future Wisconsin Natural Resources Board notices (e.g. agenda, brief of action, calendar) and receive email or text updates. You can do so under SUBSCRIBE at dnr.wi.gov/about/nrb/.

Best regards,
-Eddo-

2014 Alumacraft competitor 175 aka "The Geek Squad"

Proposed Gill Netting Dec 29, 2017 7:22 am #17247

• Sundevil
  • Thank you received: 56
Thats the same reply I received....

Proposed Gill Netting Dec 30, 2017 8:48 pm #17249

• bloodrun
  • Thank you received: 52
The WLBA Wisconsin lakeshore business association is working with the one of several commercial fishing outfits that wants to test net. This particular group wants to gill net, the rest are fine with trap nets. They are expected to get this resolved soon. Trap nets are not a problem for salmon just more work for commercial guys. We have them in many places in Michigan waters and they have little to no bycatch on salmon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Pikesmith

Proposed Gill Netting Dec 31, 2017 9:44 am #17251

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
All good info guys - keep it coming!
Boatless!

Proposed Gill Netting Jan 02, 2018 10:35 am #17260

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks to those of you that have added your name. Still time for others to add there names and send.
Lickety-Split

Proposed Gill Netting Jan 02, 2018 2:50 pm #17261

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
This the answer from my email sent.

Your email has been shared with the Wisconsin Natural Resources Board as well as with appropriate department staff for their consideration. On behalf of the Board, I would like to thank you for your comments related to a mesh gillnet study in southern Lake Michigan.

Please be aware that each Wisconsin Natural Resources Board meeting is webcast live. You can forward the following link and information to others so they can watch the meeting. Go to dnr.wi.gov/about/nrb/agenda.html and click Webcasts in the Related Links column on the right. Then click on this month’s meeting. After each meeting, the webcast will be permanently available on demand.

If you have not done so already, I encourage you to “subscribe” to future Wisconsin Natural Resources Board notices (e.g. agenda, brief of action, calendar) and receive email or text updates. You can do so under SUBSCRIBE at dnr.wi.gov/about/nrb/.

Best regards,

We are committed to service excellence.

Visit our survey at dnr.wi.gov/customersurvey to evaluate how I did.

Laurie J. Ross

Natural Resources Board Liaison – Office of the Secretary Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources P. O. Box 7921, Madison, WI 53707-7921

Phone: (608) 267-7420

Fax: (608) 266-6983

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

dnr.wi.gov
Lickety-Split

Proposed Gill Netting Jan 08, 2018 5:27 am #17283

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
please get your emails in.
Lickety-Split

• Page: