• Page:

TOPIC:

How Quick It Happens Jan 18, 2018 1:54 pm #17344

• Lickety-Split
  • Lickety-Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
I'm sure some of you have watched the video thats been going around on FB. This is the story behind the video. Accidents like this happen. Near accidents leave bad memories. Some of our members have been there.

By Aimee Green This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Oregonian/OregonLive

A salmon fisherman who abandoned ship by leaping into the frigid waters of the Columbia River last summer -- an instant before another motorboat crashed into his -- has filed a $372,500 lawsuit against the other driver.

Clatsop County sheriff’s deputies accused boat driver Marlin Lee Larsen of several crimes after the 75-year-old told investigators he couldn’t see where he was driving because he was sitting down and the dash of his boat was blocking his view. Larsen said he probably should have been standing, according to the sheriff’s report, which notes Larsen uses a motorized scooter to get around on land.

Larsen’s son-in-law, who also was on the boat, told investigators that he had warned his father-in-law to pay attention, that he sometimes sees his father-in-law using his cell phone while driving the boat and that his father-in-law had been off-and-on his cell phone the morning of the crash, according to the sheriff’s report.

Although Oregon law heavily restricts cell phone use while driving, there are no such specific laws governing boating. But it is against the law to operate a boat without due care.

The lawsuit, filed earlier this month, claims Larsen was boating while distracted by his cell phone on the morning of the Aug. 12, 2017, when the crash occurred near the mouth of the Columbia at the Pacific Ocean, just east of Fort Stevens State Park.
The suit was filed by Bryan Maess, 47, an off-duty Hermiston police officer fishing with a law-enforcement co-worker, Christopher McMahon, 46. Another friend, Roni Durham, 57, a Clatskanie resident, also was aboard.

A GoPro camera mounted to the Weldcraft fishing boat captured the frantic seconds as Larsen’s Bayliner Trophy motorboat speeds directly at them. McMahon can be seen waving his arms and yelling in an attempt to get Larsen to steer clear -- just before the trio jump into the water.

The video was shared with The Oregonian/OregonLive by the publication Salmon Trout Steelheader and Angling Oregon, the latter of which is an online fishing website of McMahon's. The video encourages boaters to wear life jackets. Maess and McMahon weren't wearing life jackets. Durham was, but it didn't inflate.

Sheriff’s investigators wrote that it was likely Maess and the others would have been seriously injured or killed if they hadn’t jumped into the water.

Maess suffered vision problems, headaches and injuries to his ankle, leg and arm from jumping into the water or being struck by debris, according to the suit. Five months after the crash, he wears a knee brace, the suit says.

McMahon and Durham also suffered injuries, including cuts or hypothermia. They haven’t filed suit against Larsen but have hired attorneys who say they plan to. Portland attorney Josh Lamborn said his client, Durham, also has suffered psychological trauma and, even though fishing is a big part of her life, hasn’t been able to go back out on a boat since the crash.

Larsen, a Roseburg resident, told The Oregonian/OregonLive by phone Friday that he wasn’t using his cellphone while driving his Bayliner and referred to such allegations as “fake news.” Larsen also said a lawsuit seemed unnecessary because the people in the Weldcraft weren’t hurt badly.

The criminal case is ongoing. Larsen has pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor crimes of reckless operation of a boat, fourth-degree assault and recklessly endangering the lives of others.

The suit was filed in Clatsop County Circuit Court. Portland attorney James McCandlish is representing Maess.

-- Aimee Green

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, Sundevil, Angry Pirate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.

How Quick It Happens Jan 25, 2018 6:40 pm #17380

• EAGLE EYE
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
WOW that’s crazy

How Quick It Happens Jan 25, 2018 8:57 pm #17384

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
I have had two moments on the big lake like that - but clearly not nearly as bad. Have had two different occasions where an autopilot idiot got into my boards, but thankfully never hit me.
Boatless!

How Quick It Happens Jan 27, 2018 11:46 am #17410

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
Using Auto pilot is awesome. I use mine whenever we are trolling and while I have never had a close call it is easy to get sidetracked fishing and not be quite as aware of your surroundings. I always remind my crew that we all need to be lookin around so we don’t get too close to others.
Team Rippin'Lips

How Quick It Happens Jan 29, 2018 9:32 am #17419

• CaptMike
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 151
I usually put between 8000-10000 nautical miles on Lake Michigan every year and have had numerous close calls.
The number one rule is avoid collision. Every boat is responsible to constantly maintain a lookout, but many boaters get a little lax with that rule.
It amazes me that I can be literally in the middle of the lake, in a bright red boat with flashing lights, towing a 30-45 foot boat with a 1 inch yellow line, and have boats almost hit me.
I constantly maintain watch, both visually and with radar. It seems that with most near misses the other boat is operating on auto pilot. If I am the stand on vessel I will maintain course and try to hail the other boat on the radio. If i don't get a response i will alter my course(Its a slow process at 5 knots and several hundred feet of tow line). If I am the give way vessel I will alter my coarse as soon as practical.
Most fisherman are very vigilant boaters. Also, you have a lot of time to make course corrections at trolling speed. I will always try to avoid a pack of boats in a trolling pattern so as not to cause any problems.
I have seen a lot of boat accidents. Always maintain a lookout, be prepared to make adjustments and never assume that the other boater knows what he/she is doing or understands the rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baron2150, Plane to Sea, Lickety-Split, Paul_L, Angry Pirate

How Quick It Happens Jan 29, 2018 9:40 am #17420

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
Well said Mike
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.

How Quick It Happens Feb 01, 2018 9:51 am #17448

• netminder34
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
Anyone ready to take a seat in an automatic car? Not this guy, no autopilot on Truck or Boat, I don't even trust the spot lock on my trolling motor after two years always have the remote around my neck. Fished this lake 40+yrs, East and West Coast, 8yrs of sea duty on 3 different Navy boats, and have seen way too many inconsiderate idiots that have no business behind the helm.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, CaptMike

• Page: