• Page:

TOPIC:

Dipsey, copper, lead core charts ??? Mar 11, 2019 7:52 pm #22492

• willbill219
  • willbill219's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 194
Any one running a HDS gen 2 with the dipsey , copper/ leadcore charts from the site uploaded to your unit. Tried putting them on my unit today but when I went to open them on my fish finder it would not give me the Option to view them. Not sure what I’m doing wrong???
“TANGLED MESS”

2016 Crestliner Authority 2050

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dipsey, copper, lead core charts ??? Mar 11, 2019 8:00 pm #22493

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1679
hard to say. If the timing is right I can drop by and take a look as I am all over NWI the next few days. Its just an image file you put in a certain location. You then have to navigate to files to be able to open it. Can you not find it? Or does it not open after you have found it?
Boatless!

Dipsey, copper, lead core charts ??? Mar 11, 2019 8:19 pm #22495

• willbill219
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Yea I can find it, I put them in my wallpapers file, but when I open them from there it only gives me a copy, delete or one other option that I can’t remember off the top of my head. But not a view option like I get when I open one of the wallpaper files. You open one of those and it gives you a view option that just opens the picture up so you can view it. Not the end of the world but it would be nice to have them on there to refer to when we get out deep
“TANGLED MESS”

Dipsey, copper, lead core charts ??? Mar 12, 2019 7:11 am #22496

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1376
Make's me wonder if I can put those charts on my Raymarine Axiom. Probably can. Never tried or even thought about it. I know I can fly a drone or watch Netflix with it so I probably can. Of course, I've never thought about putting a dive chart on the screen, primarily because the charts are way more general guidelines than exact science. I look at them from time to time - actually, checked one out just yesterday for a magazine article I'm writing. Basically, however, with all the variables - speed, currents, lure, terminal gear, exact line diameter, knots, brand of reel, the amount of cottonwood fuzz and little things like that - I would say 1) a chart that shows exact spot on depth would be massive and terribly confusing. 2) Especially with these long line presentations, spot on accuracy isn't necessary. It's not like bass fishing where missing a cast by 18 inches can mean a strike or no strike.
If you aren't getting bites on a Dipsy have you ever just adjusted it 18 inches different and had it start working?
Sure, put the info on your display, but don't dwell on it or count on it to actually put many extra fish in the box.

Dipsey, copper, lead core charts ??? Mar 12, 2019 9:30 am #22498

• willbill219
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
100% agree BN a lot of variables, just a nice guide line to get ya close. Another big factor when it comes to dipsey lines mainly that I just learned about is calibrating your reels. Watched a video a few weeks back and the guy was talking about how important it was to have your reels calibrated. Watched a YouTube video on how to do it and checked one of our rods yesterday and it was off by 11 ft. At a true 100 ft out the line counter was reading 111. In my opinion it’s not super critical unless your targeting a very specific spot in the water column. Ex. If your trying put your baits right on the temp break or marking a lot of fish at the same depth, etc. I figure we spend all this money on the nice graphs we might as well get the most we can out of them. End of the day set your lines out to whatever number on the line counter and if there taking fish set them back to that number or adjust them accordingly to how the day is going. Can’t wait to get the boat out and get into the first batch of cohos for the year. Tights lines!!
“TANGLED MESS”

Dipsey, copper, lead core charts ??? Mar 12, 2019 10:24 am #22499

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Haven't seen the calibration videos - I would guess they just have you measure (with a long tape) a specific length and then see what the line counter on the reel says. Since the line counters are just gears, I can't imagine being able to adjust anything. I did a story a million years ago when only a few reel makers had line counters and compared which ones were most accurate. None were the same and most were only ball park in accuracy.
How full the reel is filled would be a factor and obviously, as more line is unspooled and the spool shrinks (especially when using heavy mono) each revolution of the reel would unleash less line.
YOU NEED ANOTHER CHART!!!!
Even when your buddy radios over and says, "I'm getting bites with 80 feet of line out on my line counter," his 80 feet may be your 70 or 90.
This probably drives Type A brained people crazy. I'm Type B - luckily. I can deal with a clock being five minutes fast or slow.

Dipsey, copper, lead core charts ??? Mar 12, 2019 2:30 pm #22504

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1679
Agreed on all the above. There is a ton of inexact science here on all accounts.
Boatless!

Dipsey, copper, lead core charts ??? Mar 12, 2019 11:15 pm #22509

• willbill219
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
So if you wanted to calibrate your reels you would need to start with a fresh 1000 yard spool of line and a empty spool on your reel. Fill up your reel to where you think it’s full, but don’t cut the line off from your 1000 yard spool yet. Put a steak in the ground or something to attach you line too and run it out to your 100ft mark. If your line counter reads over 100 you need to add line and if your under 100 you would pull some line back off of your reel and repeat that process till you get it dialed in at 100. One big tangle tho and your reel is not calibrated anymore. I’ll at least dial them in next time we're do to put some new line on the dipsey rods.
“TANGLED MESS”

Dipsey, copper, lead core charts ??? Mar 13, 2019 5:32 am #22510

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Not Dissing you, but just for the sake of fun argument, That process would only have your reel set to run exactly 100 feet. Since the reel shrinks as line goes out, the first 10 feet registering on the counter would be long, the 10 feet between 90 and 100 would be short. More importantly, If you only wanted to put out 30 feet (on the counter), it's probably more like 33 or 34 feet. If you set out 150 on the counter, it may only be 140. To be even further complicated, it's not an easy thing to compute. If you have the reel set to be perfect at 100, the amount of imperfection at 50 feet (say five feet off) isn't going to be the same amount at 150 feet, but 5 feet off the other way. It has something to do with Pi, as in Pi R Squared. I'm not a math expert so I don't know and frankly don't care.

In the meantime, I did check with Raymarine and it is possible for me to display J-Pegs and PDF files on my Axiom, so if I ever feel the need to have the charts with me, or photos of the big buck I shot once, I can call them up to show on my screen. Didn't know it would do that.

Dipsey, copper, lead core charts ??? Mar 13, 2019 6:29 am #22511

• drjdrew
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 363

In the meantime, I did check with Raymarine and it is possible for me to display J-Pegs and PDF files on my Axiom, so if I ever feel the need to have the charts with me, or photos of the big buck I shot once, I can call them up to show on my screen. Didn't know it would do that.

That gives you another way to give guests the, "you should have been here last week", story when fishing is slow...
1982 Alumacraft T-16XL
1995 ProLine 170 Sportsman

• Page: