• Page:

TOPIC:

GRumpy old captain May 07, 2019 6:48 am #23651

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
I couldn’t believe it! The fishing action was awesome. We’d been fishing less than an hour. There were 10 fish or so in the cooler. Each person on the boat had caught a couple, lost a couple and all was right with the world.

The pack of boats was way over there so we had “our spot” all to ourselves. Offshore was a huge ore boat steaming towards Gary. There was a scant ripple on the water, the sun was shining.

Then I turned around and the “kid” in the group (probably 14 years old or so) - otherwise, mom, dad and grampa -the kid was sitting there, phone out, playing a video game.

I think nasty thoughts about dumb-ass kids all the time but I’m good about ignoring it - them - but this time there was no ignoring it. I asked the young man his name. (Don’t remember if he told me earlier or not.)

“Joe,” he said.

“Joe!” I said. “Look up from your phone. Look at this lake, it’s one of the largest lakes in the world. The Great Lakes have 20 percent of all the freshwater in the entire world. You are in a boat on this lake. There’s one of the largest ships in the world just out there steaming to one of the largest steel mills in the world. It’s sunny, calm, likely one of the best days of the year. You’ve caught a couple of salmon and you are going to catch more. Your parents and grandpa are having fun catching fish of their own and they are spending hundreds of dollars to have you along with them. Put the stinking phone away and take a look around you!

Grandpa broke into a smile. Dad turned away. Mom looked at me, then at Joe and said, “He’s right, put the phone away.”

Sometimes you just have to be a grumpy old captain.

Dad paid the bill, mom slipped me a tip - grandpa came back and gave me a bigger tip.

Joe? I don’t know if he learned anything or just thought I was a grumpy old captain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pikesmith, Fish head, Stag

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GRumpy old captain May 07, 2019 8:00 am #23659

• Dirty
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1682
A job well done Captain!
Boatless!

GRumpy old captain May 07, 2019 11:05 am #23663

• Plane to Sea
  • Thank you received: 210
Right on Captain Grumpy!!!

GRumpy old captain May 07, 2019 12:05 pm #23668

• drjdrew
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 363
Awesome!

When I was out with my brother and three nephews (15, 10, 7) the two youngest were wrestling in the bow just being boys. After about 15 minutes of it I asked them, "Do you know what your grandpa used to do when your dad and I were too loud and goofy while fishing? He'd make us get out and walk in front of the boat for ten minutes!" They sat quietly and pondered that for almost ten minutes before getting back to wrestling.
1982 Alumacraft T-16XL
1995 ProLine 170 Sportsman

GRumpy old captain May 07, 2019 6:31 pm #23678

• Kurt321
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 18
Well put and good job captain

GRumpy old captain May 07, 2019 8:05 pm #23680

• Tmik34
  • Thank you received: 1093
Great job captain!
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

GRumpy old captain May 08, 2019 6:59 am #23683

• Fish head
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Good job, could have not been said better

• Page: