• Page:

TOPIC:

Kayaker missing off of Porter Beach since Saturday May 21, 2019 9:14 pm #24016

• drjdrew
  • drjdrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 363
Just saw this article this evening, figured it was worth a shot to throw out to other folks who may have been on the lake:

www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/searc...rce=home-top-story-2

Anyone see a younger guy in a kayak in the Porter Beach area around 3:00 - 3:30 on Saturday? South Bend Police, USCG, and Porter County police depts are all involved in the search.
1982 Alumacraft T-16XL
1995 ProLine 170 Sportsman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by drjdrew.

Kayaker missing off of Porter Beach since Saturday May 22, 2019 6:41 am #24017

• EAGLE EYE
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
Sure hope he’s ok

Kayaker missing off of Porter Beach since Saturday May 23, 2019 6:07 pm #24050

• southshore
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 471
I just saw a more in depth article in The Times. Can’t believe the guy went out then. I was sitting in Shoreline Brewery watching our boat sit in the parking lot with my dad waiting for those storms to blow over. Said he was seen a mile out in a collapsible kayak. We fished the evening at MC and it wasn’t too rough, but that period from about 3-6pm was pretty wild.

Kayaker missing off of Porter Beach since Saturday May 30, 2019 5:31 am #24135

• drjdrew
  • drjdrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 363
Times article this morning: Found his body just North of the State Park pavilion Wednesday morning. No life jacket.
1982 Alumacraft T-16XL
1995 ProLine 170 Sportsman

Kayaker missing off of Porter Beach since Saturday May 30, 2019 12:05 pm #24146

• MCYaker
  • Thank you received: 26
I have been following this story. Very sad, I feel for the young man's family, it was a loss that should not have happened. I would not kayak Lake Michigan or the neighbors pond without a PFD even if they were flat calm. Thanks for the report.

Kayaker missing off of Porter Beach since Saturday May 30, 2019 2:39 pm #24148

• southshore
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 471
Feel terrible for the family. PFD would have at least made finding the body easier/ quicker. Water is still just barely in the 50’s, survival curve is still very short. I’m a rank amateur when it comes to kayaking, but I’ve learned a couple things.

#1. Just plan on being IN the water. I don’t care how stable your boat is, it’s a very likely scenario. You better be able to right the boat get back in the boat if and when you get dumped. I learned my lesson off the ditch on a calm day when I caught the wake from a 30 footer from behind. Boat caught the wave from behind and surfed a bit and the nose stuffed and the boat rolled.

#2. Always keep yourself with the boat. I keep a line tied to myself and the kayak at all times when i am out. Same goes for the paddle, keep it tethered to you.

Spending time in my yaks has opened my eyes to how dangerous it is fishing alone in my boat. I have a ladder on the back, but thats not going to do me a bit of good when it’s trolling away from me at 3mph.

I’d love to get out and fish the spring bite in my kayaks, but as of yet I do not own a wet suit and in these water temps it’s just not worth it.

• Page: