• Page:

TOPIC:

Hope I never have to do this Jun 10, 2021 6:18 am #31689

• Lickety-Split
  • Lickety-Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
I have seen deer swimming in the lake at dark as we are going out but have never wanted to be this guy. This is a report from a fella fishing from the Chicago area.

Went out yesterday morning in the fog close to shore. Took our time time we got out of the fog about 2 miles off shore. Proceeded to 75 foot and set rod in the dark. all glow spoons for kings. Tons of marks and tons of bait. First rod was a downrigger at 41 down, nice 10lb king to the boat, then under the boat then threw dipsys then past the boat, then gone. Next dipsy with trashcan dodger goes, 51 out 1/2 setting. Nice coho. Then lost about 3 coho's, took a small laker on 51 out dipsy, Lost a big jumping rainbow on 3 color lead on bird. Never seen a yellow bird go across back of boat so fast jumped 4 times then gone, took another coho off mono dipsy 90 out on 3 setting, then 3 hour delay, will explain in a bit. After the delay lost one more coho then took one. Stopped fishing with 4 in the boat and didnt fell like fishing anymore on a beautiful day. Now the tragic 3 hour delay. While out in 80 foot bout 12 miles east of chicago we observed a weird shape, not ballons ,not a bouy, deckbox, nothing I've seen before, Bout 100 yrds off my dog starts barking and growling, not usual unless around complete strangers or in the house, got a little closer, and every boaters worst nightmare. Yes it was a body, could only get within 80 yards or so cause all the boards out. Definitely identified it. Locked it in gps and started the calls to coast guard while we pulled rods. Coast guard notified and the punted to Chicago Police Marine#4. Took all pertinent info, and requested we wait on scene til they arrive. Waited bout 1 1/2 hours for them to arrive. Was still foggy/hazy wit no wind at 7am. Once on scene they completed removal and we trolled for about another hour or so but not much interest at that time. The marine unit did comment on how well my radio worked and how far off the heard me clear. Important lesson, test your radios with a friend or radio check when on water. 3 cell phones, 3 different service companies and no-service. Must have marine radio on great lakes. Well I have a good idea who victim was and just glad the family will have closure now. God Bless.
Safe boating for the summer everyone.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pikesmith, Wallin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hope I never have to do this Jun 10, 2021 8:48 am #31692

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 509
That’s scary. Never seen a body in the water that was not alive. My self, my eldest son Daniel and fishing buddy Ron Elpers were fishing a cooling water lake at a Gibson county power plant in early February some years ago. On our way back to the ramp I seen off in the distance what appeared to be a blaze orange cap floating in the water. I’ll go get it as it’s on the way back. Closer I get to I can see a head still in the cap. Made a bee line to guy and when we got closer we could see an overturned boat with another guy clinging to its bow. Could not see him until we nearly on top of them. Orange hat guy was only visible because he managed to wedge himself between the boat transom and the outboard. He was 2 feet higher than the other guy. Both were blue from being wet for nearly 3 hours. Shaking and not being able to speak well the orange hat guy said his little boat took waves over the side of the boat and it went down and rolled over upside down. He was closest and the 3 of us managed to wrestle him aboard. The 2 foot waves were being a problem for me. The waves were pushing me away from him when I was  creeping toward him. For some reason the guy let go of the bow and is now in front of my boat.    I moved forward toward him and he is being pushed toward me. My bow rose up on a wave and came down on the guy. Banged his head pretty good. Did not see him until too late. Thankfully he only had a cut head from it but he was struggling to swim. We got a rope to him and pulled him to the boat. Ron and Daniel worked the guy to the back of the boat. Between the 3 of us we pulled the guy in the back of the boat. Another half hour in the water would have surely took his life. Long story short, 911 calls had EMS waiting at the ramp. They waded in and got the 2 pulled out and into 2 ambulance. It could have been the same story of Ed’s if luck had not intervened. That was way to close for me.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Pikesmith

Last edit: by Steelie Don.

Hope I never have to do this Jun 10, 2021 9:39 am #31693

• Start Paddling
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 293
www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/3-rescued-...ast-chicago/2500194/

This happened about a month ago during gale south winds.  It's very possible that these two events could be linked.

Hope I never have to do this Jun 10, 2021 10:29 pm #31725

• jpmarko
  • Thank you received: 34
That is indeed tragic and a solemn reminder to maintain a healthy fear of the Great Lakes and take all necessary safety precautions. I hope I never have to see something like that personally. Hopefully the family finds closure.
2019 Boston Whaler 190 Montauk

...follow me and I will make you fishers of men. Matthew 4:19

• Page: