• Page:

TOPIC:

The Great Comeback " Indiana Kings" Sep 21, 2022 6:21 am #35861

• Lickety-Split
  • Lickety-Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1721
Is Indiana going to go down as the comeback Kid????

What a story that could be told. It wasn't that long ago that Indiana was going to stop stocking kings altogether,2016. Bait was down to the extreme. When others to the north had bait still and some king fishing, Indiana was down and out. With out bait we didn't see many spring kings move thru our water. Only 2 age classes of ale's.

Now 6 years later the lake is supporting 6 year classes of bait. Because of a bait umbrella Indiana once again can not only talk about kings we can catch KINGS. The increase in bait allows us to catch spring kings in some numbers. It also is covering the smolts, and allowing them the grow. In 2020 there was a few 2 year old kings that moved into Portage. In 2021 Portage had a king run that was close to the run of 2012. This year was a bang up year for Michigan City fishermen. And, next year all 3 ports should see a run of 3 year old Kings. If this isn't the makings of one of the greatest stories of a comeback I don't know what could be better?
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmik34, Pikesmith, Wildkat Tim, Joez, StormJunkie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Great Comeback " Indiana Kings" Sep 21, 2022 8:19 am #35862

• StormJunkie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 194
 All the bait we had in front of the harbors in 2019 and 2020 when the smolts were released gave the little guys cover.  We were looking forward to this year and it didn't disappoint. After seeing how healthy the 2 year olds are I expect another good fall run at all three locations next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Pikesmith

The Great Comeback " Indiana Kings" Sep 21, 2022 12:02 pm #35863

• southshore
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 471
    Definitely nice to see. Trail has more kings than I’ve seen in years. I hope they stick to the metrics and continue to incorporate the data into their decision making. Ideally, I’d like to see areas with lower natural reproduction getting the bulk of any increased stocking. Hopefully this is a consideration. We don’t yet know how bigger healthier fish will change the numbers as far as wild naturally reproduced fish are concerned. 

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Tmik34, Pikesmith, MC_angler

The Great Comeback " Indiana Kings" Sep 22, 2022 9:33 pm #35864

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 343
Thanks for information, I greatly appreciate it. One thing that I've found interesting is Michigan City fishermen have a good year.

I know there are a lot of kings in Trail Creek now but I never saw much posted about fishing the Harbor and the lake in August and September so far. I've been monitoring on here and watching several groups on Facebook. I just assumed most people were staying home because of the gas prices. I've seen boats with a lot of Lake Trout with a king or two maybe a Coho but nothing that suggested we were having a good year thus far. Where do I need to be looking to see this information? Any information or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The Great Comeback " Indiana Kings" Sep 23, 2022 7:39 am #35865

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Morning Trent,
Your just gonna have to get out and fish for the fall fish. They will start to show themselves back in Indiana waters around mid August. Watch water temps as they will usually follow the cold water along the bottom section of the water column. As to waiting for others to let the info out,,,, well it gets tuff to combat fish when every one knows. Last year I called the Portage run the best kept secret in Indiana. But next year it should be good along the entire lake front as East Chicago, Portage and Michigan City should see fall runs of Kings.
Lickety-Split

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmik34

The Great Comeback " Indiana Kings" Sep 24, 2022 11:28 am #35867

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 343
I appreciate your advice and concerns. Are you a charter boat or just enjoy fishing?

The Great Comeback " Indiana Kings" Sep 24, 2022 12:09 pm #35868

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
I stopped by the lamprey barrier today and it looks like another nice group of kings / coho pushed up.  Lots of big ones milling around trying to scale the waterfall.  Really cool to see!
Team Rippin'Lips
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Pikesmith

The Great Comeback " Indiana Kings" Sep 25, 2022 9:47 am #35870

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I appreciate your advice and concerns. Are you a charter boat or just enjoy fishing?

I'm and old timer Trent, and yes I sure do enjoy fishing. I did charter when I was younger as well as my brother, and received my Capt's license in 1983

Lickety-Split

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.

The Great Comeback " Indiana Kings" Sep 26, 2022 6:11 am #35871

• EAGLE EYE
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
Where is the lamprey barrier at??

The Great Comeback " Indiana Kings" Sep 26, 2022 2:41 pm #35872

• StormJunkie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 194
  Springland AveMichigan City.  Right where the bridge crosses Trail Creek.

• Page: