• Page:

TOPIC:

Possible boat repair Nov 06, 2023 8:18 pm #38418

• Ltrain
  • Ltrain's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 293
Hello, I am asking this question to see if anyone else has dealt with a similar problem.  My boat is in my signature- a 2022 Starcraft Fishmaster 210. During my summer vacation there was a vicious storm, 40mph winds - I stayed at the dock for 3 hours tending to the boat.  I broke 7 dock lines, ripped the cleats off the pier, then when fastened to the dock frame,  My boat was ripping the dock free and walking it down the shore. I had the boat tied to all 4  boat cleats, two docks, at some point both front ropes broke and i seen the bow bouncing about 8 feet in the air.  
I secured it once again and it stayed till dawn. After the storm i noticed alot of cosmetic marks towards the bow but i thought that was the extent of the damage.

Now I have gone over the boat more closely,  due to the paint scheme i overlooked the damage at the water line.  It appears i have two sizeable indentions- one the size of a softball the other about the size of a volleyball. 
I did contact my insurance company- my question is how does a place fix a dented up hull? Its up to me to find a place for repair- I will reach out to my marina for assistance.  Is a dented up hull repaiable?
I'm sick to my stomach discovering my brand new rig in this condition. Has anybody been through a similar situation and if so what was the outcome?
I appreciate all advice and guidance- I never had to make a marine claim before- thanks in advance 
200hp Tohatsu
9.9hp Tohatsu
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 Li batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 tabs
Traxstech 72" , Berts 24" tracks
2 Big Jon Capt packs
MK 15' Talon
Lowrance autopilot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Possible boat repair Nov 07, 2023 4:27 am #38419

• BNature
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
Holy cow!  That's quite a story and I'm so sorry that it happened. I would bet the boat is repairable, but only to the point that it's serviceable - not like new. Unlike a car where the body is mostly there just for looks, the hull of a boat - especially the pointy end is what makes boats work. Just pounding it out and filling with bondo might make it look like new but it's not as strong as new. 
I'm sure there are places that can patch it to be serviceable but it may look patched up. I would guess the aluminum is stretched and thinner - probably weaker - and the dented area would be best removed and replaced with new metal.
Let us know the outcome of this tale - what place or kind of place repairs it, what kind of insurance settlement you get, etc. 
Take a couple of before and after photos.  GOOD LUCK 

Possible boat repair Nov 07, 2023 5:11 am #38421

• jpbohney
  • Thank you received: 5
Maybe LandCraft marine in Crest Hill, IL?

Possible boat repair Nov 07, 2023 6:23 am #38422

• StormJunkie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 194
You might try contacting Starcraft  (a division of Smoker Craft) to see if they will repair it at the factory or suggest someone who would. I purchased a 1998 23' Sylvan in 1998 (4 months old) that was brought back to the factory damaged due to being caught in a storm in Seattle.  The front of the hull had caved in.  They removed the entire front cabin and pushed the metal out from the inside and then added reinforcement.  I was told by employees at the factory they sometimes take repair jobs when things are slow. Good Luck. 

Possible boat repair Nov 07, 2023 12:42 pm #38425

• Ltrain
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks BN for the insight and I will post pics and detail the experience. 

Storm Junkie you called it- my marina contacted Starcraft already and they want the boat back in house to look at it and then we will go from there. 
Boat got pretty beat up cosmetically on both sides and then the bow area indentions. 
I'm hoping nothing structual happened but the damage is below the decking so I imagine they'll have to pull the deck and take a look.. 
If there is structural damage i guess I'd be hoping for them to total it out rather than a repair. But i don't want to put the cart before the horse. Best case scenario would be for me to get my rig back in good shape.
I don't know when Starcraft can get me in but i can't get it to them for a week and a half. Looks like my fall laker jigging and perchin will be missed- really hope I'm ready to go for late Feb/ early March coho
200hp Tohatsu
9.9hp Tohatsu
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 Li batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 tabs
2 Big Jon Capt packs
MK 15' Talon
Lowrance autopilot

Last edit: by Ltrain.

Possible boat repair Nov 08, 2023 11:40 am #38427

• Reeltales
  • Thank you received: 61
www.land-craft.com/
Excellent repair service
18' StarCraft FishMaster - 90hp Suzuki 4S
Garmin 93S UHD
Dual Lowrance HDS / Chirp

Possible boat repair Nov 08, 2023 8:07 pm #38428

• Ltrain
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I'm going to post the pics I'm going to send in-the red  circle is the first crease and indention from several angles and the blue one is the larger indention. It's somewhat hard to see but it's easier to see and feel in person.
200hp Tohatsu
9.9hp Tohatsu
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 Li batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 tabs
2 Big Jon Capt packs
MK 15' Talon
Lowrance autopilot

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Possible boat repair Nov 08, 2023 8:10 pm #38429

• Ltrain
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More pics,swirl is also a crease
200hp Tohatsu
9.9hp Tohatsu
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 Li batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 tabs
2 Big Jon Capt packs
MK 15' Talon
Lowrance autopilot

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Possible boat repair Dec 19, 2023 9:36 pm #38523

• Ltrain
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
have an update......Smokercraft got in touch with my dealer and they both agreed that there was really no way to get in there and fix my boat back to new so they did agree to total the hull out. My marina (L&R marine)fired off an estimate to State farm and they cut a check to my bank immediately, no questions asked- about a painless as can be.

I also get to keep the hull and trailer.......

I have to add L&R Marine has always been great to me.... they took care of me when Angler Qwest wouldn't do warranty work and they got me out of that rig in great shape and into my 2022 Fishmaster 210. They also worked with Smokercraft to get this current issue resolved. Hats off to Smokercraft, L&R Marine, and State farm for making this a pain free process.

So now I guess I have several options.....I could fish the Fishmaster as is and after all is said and done have it paid off....I could switch my 250 ProXS( 48 hrs) and kicker to another hull and transfer all my stuff and scrap the dented hull.....I could sell my motor and trailer back to the marina and pick up a heavily discounted 2023 Fishmaster 196 with a 200 on it and have all my stuff( plus a few extras) rigged on it.......I could also just sell my motor and trailer back to the marina and walk away with cash to look at other rigs......
I really don't know what I'm going to do yet but will update accordingly.
200hp Tohatsu
9.9hp Tohatsu
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 Li batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 tabs
2 Big Jon Capt packs
MK 15' Talon
Lowrance autopilot

Possible boat repair Dec 20, 2023 5:18 am #38524

• StormJunkie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 194
Just my opinion but If you like the boat and the way it is set up, I would fish it as is. My last boat wasn't perfect and served me well for 19 years. The fish didn't care and I didn't have to worry about that first scratch or dent. 

• Page: