• Page:

TOPIC:

Possible boat repair Dec 20, 2023 10:13 am #38525

• Ltrain
  • Ltrain's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 293

Just my opinion but If you like the boat and the way it is set up, I would fish it as is. My last boat wasn't perfect and served me well for 19 years. The fish didn't care and I didn't have to worry about that first scratch or dent. 

I love the how the boat is set up,  I went into it believing this would be my last boat until retirement when I'm hopefully moving to Erie and putting a bigger boat in a slip.

My concern is I don't know how much that aluminum is stressed.... it's at a position on the bow where it will take the brunt of the waves. I'd hate to have that hull split open when I'm 16 miles out in the big pond......
On one hand it would be great to have a boat paid off 14 years early.... but I don't know if I could take that risk for myself or any passengers I would bring out........

200hp Tohatsu
9.9hp Tohatsu
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 Li batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 tabs
Traxstech 72" , Berts 24" tracks
2 Big Jon Capt packs
MK 15' Talon
Lowrance autopilot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Possible boat repair Dec 20, 2023 10:19 am #38526

• slack57
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 233

Just my opinion but If you like the boat and the way it is set up, I would fish it as is. My last boat wasn't perfect and served me well for 19 years. The fish didn't care and I didn't have to worry about that first scratch or dent. 
YUP ^^^ way to go. That way those 50lb Kings ramming hull dont get clean hull to tear up. Never let the truth get in the way of a good fish story.

Possible boat repair Dec 21, 2023 8:57 am #38528

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
I recognize and commend your concern, but I expect the odds of further damage from running the boat even in severe "Great Lakes" conditions are slim.  That being said, the odds of further damage from running the boat on most inland lakes is even more remote. I would consider what purchasing a boat that meets your safety standards would cost and then investigatge your options. 
I would think there would be a market for a "scratch and dent" otherwise well-cared for used boat in NE Indiana, or other areas where it won't be used on big water. I'd investigate that possibility, see what sort of used price you can get and then with your insurance settlement, see what you can afford as a replacement. Luckily it's winter and you aren't losing much fishing time and with a bit of scrambling you'll be ready to rock 'em in the spring. 

Possible boat repair Dec 21, 2023 12:34 pm #38529

• Ltrain
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I recognize and commend your concern, but I expect the odds of further damage from running the boat even in severe "Great Lakes" conditions are slim.  That being said, the odds of further damage from running the boat on most inland lakes is even more remote. I would consider what purchasing a boat that meets your safety standards would cost and then investigatge your options. 
I would think there would be a market for a "scratch and dent" otherwise well-cared for used boat in NE Indiana, or other areas where it won't be used on big water. I'd investigate that possibility, see what sort of used price you can get and then with your insurance settlement, see what you can afford as a replacement. Luckily it's winter and you aren't losing much fishing time and with a bit of scrambling you'll be ready to rock 'em in the spring. 

Thanks  BN for the reply.... you know I'm starting to think maybe I should just run it "as is" as Storm junkie and slack posted also.  It does fish the same as the damaged occured in May and I didn't really notice it before my June trip.  Yes it does bother me a bit that a brand new hull went through that and looks as it does.....but it bothers me alot less now that I won't have a note on it for that much longer.
I'm thinking now I should just just ride it out til I retire in 7 years..... the motor should only have 500 - 600 hrs on it, then move that motor to a 23 foot Grady . I plan to move to Erie and have a slip. 
200hp Tohatsu
9.9hp Tohatsu
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 Li batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 tabs
2 Big Jon Capt packs
MK 15' Talon
Lowrance autopilot

Last edit: by Ltrain.

Possible boat repair Dec 23, 2023 7:00 am #38530

• reel fun
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 211

Thanks  BN for the reply.... you know I'm starting to think maybe I should just run it "as is" as Storm junkie and slack posted also.  It does fish the same as the damaged occured in May and I didn't really notice it before my June trip.  Yes it does bother me a bit that a brand new hull went through that and looks as it does.....but it bothers me alot less now that I won't have a note on it for that much longer.
I'm thinking now I should just just ride it out til I retire in 7 years..... the motor should only have 500 - 600 hrs on it, then move that motor to a 23 foot Grady . I plan to move to Erie and have a slip. 

Take her out for some "sea trials" in close a few times and monitor any water infiltration. That will help your peace of mind some and regain your confidence in her seaworthiness. I don't think you'll be happy going down to the 196. I had a 196 and loved it, but drooled over the 210 when it came out. They are beautiful boats and I feel your pain for the damage, but like you said, I think I can live with that vs 15 years of payments....lol
Good Luck, let us know this spring how it goes

Possible boat repair Dec 23, 2023 10:16 pm #38531

• Ltrain
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Take her out for some "sea trials" in close a few times and monitor any water infiltration. That will help your peace of mind some and regain your confidence in her seaworthiness. I don't think you'll be happy going down to the 196. I had a 196 and loved it, but drooled over the 210 when it came out. They are beautiful boats and I feel your pain for the damage, but like you said, I think I can live with that vs 15 years of payments....lol
Good Luck, let us know this spring how it goes

I already had it out since it was damaged...... it was damaged last May , I didn't even notice it on my June vacation and i had it out on lake Michigan after that a few times.  Absolutely tight as a drum.
Good news is my marina wants to see it up close and may buy it from me and resell it as a scratch and dent at a huge discount. I'm bringing it there the day after Christmas. 
As far as the 196 goes ,I've been in one at the show room its pretty nice to me, and it would be more manageable on smaller lakes.  I'm also intrigued how it will run on the big pond as it has a 19° deadrise vs the 15° deadrise of my 210, should cut the waves a little better. I will say the 210 is great in big water.
We'll see what happens.......
200hp Tohatsu
9.9hp Tohatsu
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 Li batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 tabs
2 Big Jon Capt packs
MK 15' Talon
Lowrance autopilot

• Page: