TOPIC:

REVIEW some cold weather safety tips Nov 12, 2023 9:49 pm #38442

• honda cat
  • honda cat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 222
keep bilge clean and ice free!!

bilge pumps can not pump fall leafs and debris that blows around when it windy in the fall 

bilge pumps can not pump ice! or ice shards .

every trip or two put a quart of more of the pink non toxic anti freeze in the bilge of your boat yes even if its kept in a heated garage 

test bilge pumps at home before you head out make sure they not only make noise but pump water 

If you have the space and resources $ consider putting together a emergency bilge pump kit = bilge pump packed in a cooler/floating bag rigged with 5' of wire and hd battery clamps at least 10 of appropriate size bilge hose  floating bag is handy if some one else is in trouble and you can throw them the bag and not worry about it sinking  

heaven forbid !!

if some one fall in the water throw them a line and have them tie it around themself call for help 
with motor shut down get them to the back of boat bear hug motor trim motor up and drag them over motor into boat  a shut down motor is easier to climb up than a ladder in most cases even with out power tilt . try it in the summer if you dont thing so .
wet and cold clothes are super heavy and even a young healthy person would have a hard time climbing a goof ladder they are about impossible to drag into a small boat from inside the boat> stay safe out there fun is over if some one gets hurt  

Captain frank calumet marine

Frank Martin
USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master
Great Lakes Inland Waterways
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
owner Calumet Marine .com

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, go4bigfish, Pikesmith, Joez, edac, LWL, daybreak

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by honda cat.

REVIEW some cold weather safety tips Nov 13, 2023 6:51 am #38443

• Joez
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 146
Great call outs as the temps drop.

REVIEW some cold weather safety tips Nov 13, 2023 7:43 am #38444

• go4bigfish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 422
Thanks for the tips Captain Frank - I didn't have leaves, but had my bilge filled with pine cones by some piney squirrels and it made the pump unusable. I decided a second pump was a good idea too with one auto and a manual. I like the RV antifreeze idea - makes sense because most bilges never completely dry out.
Also remember your life jackets - cold water and heavy clothing make swimming impossible. I saw three people including a toddler in a canoe yesterday on the St Joe river - no jackets on either adult, and the water is only 51 degrees with strong current.

REVIEW some cold weather safety tips Nov 14, 2023 6:59 am #38446

• honda cat
  • honda cat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 222
life vest is a must even when its not cold 
Frank Martin
USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master
Great Lakes Inland Waterways
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
owner Calumet Marine .com

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: