Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help me decide on new boat seat pedestals Nov 17, 2023 1:35 pm #38450

• tschneid83
  • tschneid83's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
Want to replace my boat seat pedestals and bases so the seats are easier to move around. Looks like my options are straight pin (3/4") or the wedge with the retaining clip. Anyone have an opinion on either setup. Most people sitting on them will be 200-250lb.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help me decide on new boat seat pedestals Nov 17, 2023 2:12 pm #38451

• walleye13
  • Thank you received: 1
I would go with a 2 3/8 inch, adjustable gas shocked base/pedestal. Cabela's and BassPro (saw the Outdoor World branding on your pics) Boat Service departments can can order from at least 3 popular venders through their Land-N-Sea (marine products warehouse/superstore) business relationship. 

For any fixed fishing seats, I'd go with a "bell-shaped" fixed base, which gives you mount flexibility to incorporate stability and comfort features, like swivel or slider. 

Everyone will want to lean back, so most boat seats won't last. However a strong base/pedestal will be better under all circumstances. 

If moving the pedestal around is an issue (always is, LOL), use a water-based silicone spray to lubricate the base to make moving easier. If need be, remove the mount/seat, move the post/pedestal, and reinstall in desired location. 

-Boater/fisherman for over 50 years and boat salesman since 2018, haha, so lots of experience with this topic! 

Help me decide on new boat seat pedestals Nov 17, 2023 5:46 pm #38452

• tschneid83
  • tschneid83's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
I think what you mentioned is what I have currently in my boat and the pedestal is seized to the base. I got my 3 ton jack involved and couldn't separate them. That's why I was looking for something different. 

Help me decide on new boat seat pedestals Nov 20, 2023 6:02 am #38455

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
I'm not very experienced with moveable pedistal seats. My boats have all had permanently installed pedestals, however, just from the physics it certainly looks as though the one with the larger hole in the floor base would be much stronger than the one with the skinny pedistal.  

Actually what I was reacting to is W-13's coment about almost every seat will fail over time when people lean back in them. The seats that came with my boat (Pro-Line) broke within the first 7 or 8 years. I replaced them with Tempress Navistyle seats and they are still like new after 15 years. At the time, I bought them from Cabelas. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: SweetDaddy

• Page: