• Page:

TOPIC:

ICE PAcK Jan 21, 2024 6:25 am #38628

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
I was at EC Marina yesterday and was somewhat surprised to see an ice pack at the end of the steel mill extending down towards Gary. One report said Cal Park was still open, however for the perch guys who want to get out this week. 
Anyway, I'm sort of glad there's some lake ice. Cold water is what drives the cohos to the south end over the winter so I think the presence of the ice is a blessing and bodes well. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ICE PAcK Jan 22, 2024 8:03 am #38633

• Start Paddling
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 293
Should be game on this week with the south winds and warmer weather to move that ice pack out.

ICE PAcK Jan 23, 2024 9:00 am #38642

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 351
Absolutely! Its been cold enough up north to freeze some of the lake then they got the first couple blast of really cold air with ice and snow then we get a good blast of artic air that has created ice pack for several miles from shore.

I've seen several Drone videos of lake Michigan and just saw one from Michigan City and the ice pack was as far out as drone video could show from well above the lighthouse.

I know its supposed to warm up starting next week with them calling for daytime temps in the low 50s and nighttime temps in the high 30s to mid 40s..

This should cool the lake off enough to drive the kings and coho to the southern end of lake Michigan.

We had a good year last year but only a few kings .

• Page: