• Page:

TOPIC:

Walleye Fishing - day trip or overnight from NWI? Aug 19, 2018 10:56 am #20949

• drjdrew
  • drjdrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 363
I grew up in Northern MN and cut my fishing teeth on Walleye in the BWCAW, St. Louis River, and many lakes north of Duluth. I've taken my kids back up a couple of times and they quickly fell in love with the fishing as well. I've been trying to find a good location in MI that we can hit either on a day trip or quick overnight and get into some eater Walleye. I know Erie isn't as far as it seems and my brother and I have been talking about a trip there as well.

Anyone willing to share areas or strategies? Maybe some good sources of information? I've thought about trying the lakes and bay in the Frankfort/Traverse City region.

Thanks!
1982 Alumacraft T-16XL
1995 ProLine 170 Sportsman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Walleye Fishing - day trip or overnight from NWI? Aug 20, 2018 12:50 pm #20953

• netminder34
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
Although there are walleye present in the Frankfort and Traverse City areas I do not know anyone that goes there to target them, salmon-yes walleye-no. I do know a couple of inland lakes that can produce from time to time in the area but they are hard to come by on open water a little more plentiful during hard water season if you know where to go. If it were me and I was traveling from NWI specifically Portage where we used to call home I would go to Saginaw Bay for good eater size walleye. The stocking program they have had over there has really exploded the last couple years and there seem to be a lot of eaters available and I think they raised the catch limit for this year. I have never fished it myself but that is where I hear from friends and family is the place to go for eaters. I have not had much time to explore the new area we are moving to but read in a welcome flyer last week there are 235 inland lakes in the county where we are buying our house and stocking data through the DNR provides has indications there are some decent walleye fisheries not to far away from the new digs. From portage to Saginaw is about 4 1/2 hrs, Houghton Lake is about 4 hrs and I have caught Walleye, Pike, and Smalllies there. Cadillac has a walleye population on lakes Mitchell and Cadillac and is about 3 1/2 hrs. Muskegon River specifically Croton and Hardy ponds are about 3 hrs. All have areas to camp or hotel/motel and are relatively easy drives with catchable eater walleye, if you want trophy hogs go to Erie or the river, about 4-4 1/2 hr drive from Portage.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"

Walleye Fishing - day trip or overnight from NWI? Aug 21, 2018 6:20 am #20958

• drjdrew
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks, Jeff! Great info. Appreciate it.
1982 Alumacraft T-16XL

Walleye Fishing - day trip or overnight from NWI? Aug 21, 2018 6:26 am #20959

• EAGLE EYE
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
What about the st joe river thought I read something about there being walleye there ( I think)

Walleye Fishing - day trip or overnight from NWI? Aug 21, 2018 10:22 am #20963

• netminder34
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
There are walleye in the St Joe and some good ones from things I hear. Mostly a winter and spring fishery from my understanding but I do not have much knowledge on the system as I have never fished it or know many that do. I gave information that I have experience in or know people directly that do and can say I trust. Those are just my suggestions, it a big state and lots of fishing holes, it's good to be home, lol. If you decide on an area and need some specifics give me a shoot and I will try to help you out more. Oh and don't take it wrong about Frankfort and Traverse City they are both beautiful places that I spent most of my younger life in and have never really left as we are moving back now to be closer to family and the old fishing holes.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"

Last edit: by netminder34.

Walleye Fishing - day trip or overnight from NWI? Aug 21, 2018 9:18 pm #20965

• Webster3
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 227
We spent most of our time fishing on Erie before moving this way. Early spring to early June is the oak harbor OH or by Davis besse the nuclear plant as temps warm the fish head east towards Kelly's island, middle bass, put in Bay over to Canadan water. There is a public launch on Catawba that will get you close to where you need to be this time of year. There is also a bait shop that talks to lots of charters that they use to post accurate fishing reports it's called happy hooker in oak harbor. Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drjdrew

Walleye Fishing - day trip or overnight from NWI? Aug 22, 2018 6:14 am #20970

• drjdrew
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
GREAT INFO!

Thank You
1982 Alumacraft T-16XL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Webster3

Walleye Fishing - day trip or overnight from NWI? Aug 22, 2018 8:09 am #20974

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
Lake Erie is the spot to go. You can fish walleye all fall right up to ice up.In the fall from Cedar Point park east to the city of Huron. Huron has super nice ramps. Average walleye in the fall from huron is in the 5-6lb. size with fish in the 8-10lb size common. The night trolling bite is good and that s when the real big ones come out to play. Fish will be in 10 to 17ft. area. Speeds in the fall are around 1.6 to 2.0
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: drjdrew

• Page: