• Page:

TOPIC:

Lake Cumberland Jan 31, 2019 10:34 am #22137

• CaptMike
  • CaptMike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 151
We are opening a new TowBoatUS port on Lake Cumberland, and I have a feeling that I will be spending a lot of time down there helping to set it up.
From what I have read it is supposed to have some great multi-species fishing.
Does anyone have any personal experience on this lake?
BTW, we will probably be looking for licensed captains with a towing endorsement to work down there. If I didnt still have a kid starting HS I would seriously consider moving there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by CaptMike.

Lake Cumberland Jan 31, 2019 11:52 am #22138

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1680
That would be a nice move for sure......
Boatless!

Lake Cumberland Feb 01, 2019 6:51 am #22142

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
It's deep and clear water. The times I went there we fished for purebred stripers. Caught a few on my Lake Michigan gear. Most of the pros fish with live shad. About the only other reliable bite us Yankees could get going was fishing at night near or from the docks - mixed catch of crappies and white bass - one or two catfish. Weird fishing in like 200 feet of water from a dock. Fish lured to the surface with lights so we were only fishing 10 feet deep or so.
As a flatlander, I didn't particularly like it. Had to climb a mountain to park the car and trailer, and you had to back the boat down the hill about a quarter mile at some of the launch sites.

Lake Cumberland Feb 10, 2019 10:31 pm #22195

• DAYOFF
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
I have been there several times. Its a long drive around the lake, The lake can easily go up maybe 30 feet after a big rain. This can put the cars in the parking lot underwater and the cars need to be towed uphill if the drivers are away on a houseboat. This makes ramp launching difficult as the edge guard rails are completely underwater. The marinas and docks all have winches and cables to adjust for the new water level. Many guys are fishing with walleye board but almost stop and just use them to spread their baits and use them as bobbers. The is an UPSCALE lake and expensive.

Kentucky had no rod limit so I could troll 15 rods solo. You better troll at 1 mph or less.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by DAYOFF.
  • Page: