• Page:

TOPIC:

Michigan Walleye? Aug 15, 2022 2:33 pm #35583

• drjdrew
  • drjdrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 363
I am looking for opportunities to get back into fishing walleye on inland lakes and it looks like central/northern Michigan might be closest to my Northern MN roots. I'd really like to be able to work in some ice fishing this winter as well as open water this fall and next spring. I'm hoping to find a couple of lakes that I can reach from Chesterton for day trips, but I'm also interested in heading up to the UP for longer weekends.

Who has some experience they're willing to share. Where are they?

Jay
1982 Alumacraft T-16XL
1995 ProLine 170 Sportsman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Michigan Walleye? Aug 15, 2022 4:01 pm #35584

• Speedy
  • Thank you received: 26
 Hi J.  Last year a buddy and I drove over to Sterling State Park in Monroe Mi. mid June. We fished three days and stayed two nights.  Was a great trip, 31/2 hours to get there and caught our limit all 3 day's. tried to make that trip again this year but Covid and a family emergency cancelled us last minute. the boat launch and cleaning station was top shelf.Check the Walley community websites for Monroe Mi. Lake Erie.  Lots of good dayly info. Great campground if you can do an overnighter.  If you are looking for a fellow fishermen to make a trip, Im sure you would get a lot of interest.  Myself included.  Keep us posted.I do have a contact up by Kalamazoo that's my go to fishing buddy for inland fishing.  I'll give him a call for info

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Speedy.

Michigan Walleye? Aug 16, 2022 4:59 pm #35590

• go4bigfish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 422
I know it isn't an inland lake and not sure how you feel about river fishing, but the St Joe from Berrien Spring out to the lake has a good population of 'eyes and it is close enough for day trips.

Last edit: by go4bigfish. Reason: sp

Michigan Walleye? Aug 17, 2022 12:48 pm #35594

• drjdrew
  • drjdrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 363
I keep forgetting about the river. I used to fish the St Louis River in MN (drains into the tip of Lake Superior) so it shouldn't be too different.

Thanks
1982 Alumacraft T-16XL
1995 ProLine 170 Sportsman

Michigan Walleye? Aug 18, 2022 8:23 am #35603

• go4bigfish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 422
Lake of the Woods outside of Bremen would be an option too - well stocked with walleye and a nice public access

Michigan Walleye? Aug 18, 2022 8:48 am #35605

• MC_angler
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1272
Day trips for reliable walleye ice fishing from Chesterton might be challenging no matter the state. There are not a lot of "walleye factory" lakes in NW Indiana or SW Michigan

The St. Joe River (both in Michigan and Indiana) is going to be the best walleye fishing around. But obviously not an option for ice fishing

SW Michigan lakes don't have the best reliable walleye action, but Diamond, Magician, Paw Paw, Lake Of the Woods (Decatur MI) are stocked. 

Lake of Woods (Bremen IN), Maxincuckee, and Bass  would be options in IN within daytrip range of Chesterton

For overnight ice fishing trips in Michigan, if you have the means, big water like St. Clair, Brest Bay of Erie, Saginaw Bay, Bays De Noc, etc are obvious choices.  Or one of lots of northern Lower Peninsula or UP lakes
The following user(s) said Thank You: drjdrew

Michigan Walleye? Aug 25, 2022 11:29 am #35679

• Absolutzero273
  • Thank you received: 19
I am happy to see I'm not the only Minnesotan hanging around here (grew up near Rochester, but spent a lot of time in northern Minnesota).  I also can't speak too much on Michigan walleyes, but I can definitely help with northern Indiana walleyes. 

As many others have said the St Joe (all streches) has some of the best walleye fishing locally.  The Michigan stretches seems to be the most balanced for size vs quantity.  Michigan boarder to Twin Branch has some quality fish, but less numbers. Twin Branch to Elkhart has great numbers, but harder to find bigger fish.  6 span (east of Elkhart) has fewer fish, but good size.  I live on the Twin Branch to Elkhart stretch so I would be happy to help with more specifics.  I've had 100 fish days in my boat on that strech so it can be very good.  If you're fishing from shore each of the dams hold fish year round and especially in the spring.  I've seen pictures of some monsters (12+ lbs) caught in the spring below the dams.

Lake of the Woods in Bremen is also very good.  It does get busy on the weekends during the summer so spring/fall and during the week is best there.  My biggest Indiana walleye came from there at 7.5 lbs.

I think the best lake for consistently good walleye fishing in the area is Winona Lake in Warsaw.  I've fished it many times in different seasons and always seem to do well.  There is a good population of 3-6 lbs fish there.

My favorite dark horse candidate in the area is Big Turkey Lake in Stroh.  It can have some great Spring fishing with good size.

if you need any further pointers on any of these just let me know, I'm always happy to help.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bob, Sundevil, Pikesmith, Reeltales, drjdrew, staubsaugen, Meyers9163

Michigan Walleye? Aug 25, 2022 1:39 pm #35680

• bob
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 723
Thanks for the info.  Really appreciate it. 
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

Michigan Walleye? Aug 27, 2022 7:46 pm #35688

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 349
That's great information! I really appreciate it! I've got and old 16ft walkthrough V Bottom boat that I fixed up in 2006 then went through divorce and staph infection in my knee so I lost interest but hearing about all this great fishing peaks my interest. My son has been talking about getting around so maybe we'll make that happen. We can also use it for near shore fishing on lake Michigan and lake Erie!

Thanks again for all the information!

Michigan Walleye? Aug 31, 2022 3:32 am #35709

• Ltrain
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 292
Hey Absolutzero273- Any hp restrictions on Winona? Also do you think I'd have any problems launching my 21ft Starcraft deep v? Thanks
200hp Tohatsu
9.9hp Tohatsu
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 Li batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 tabs
Traxstech 72" , Berts 24" tracks
2 Big Jon Capt packs
MK 15' Talon
Lowrance autopilot

• Page: