• Page:

TOPIC:

Lake Erie May 7-10 Apr 30, 2024 8:43 am #39284

• badredram
  • badredram's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 239
Ill be out chasing walleyes on Erie May 7-10, if anyone else is gonna be out that way. Staying in the Port Clinton area. Let me know and we can exchange fishing intel and whatnot.
>2014 Alumacraft Dominator 185 Black/White - "Tin Star"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lake Erie May 7-10 May 03, 2024 5:04 am #39313

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1395
Post a report for the trip, if not daily. I won't be over there for a couple of weeks, but I do keep on top of what's happening over there. Sounds like it's been very productive all spring.  GOOD LUCK and save a few for my crew.  

Lake Erie May 7-10 May 05, 2024 8:10 pm #39333

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 516
  Was on the lake about 2 weeks ago for a 2 and 1/2 day trip. We fished out of Locust Point Marina near Oak Harbor. Weather was miserable and only fished 1 day. We tried jigging the walleye and failed something awful at it. High speed winds and chocolate milk colored water made the effort near impossible. Fished in those waves for better than 4 hours without a hit. Winds switched around noon and the waves subsided for us. We got out the trolling gear and a box of deep walleye bandits and started trolling the reefs around us. It took a while but we got our daily limit of walleye and a special bonus fish. Sea Ya Rick landed a pig of a small mouth on a bandit. Better than 5 pounds on the spring fish scale. The walleye were very good quality also. We stayed in water less than 20 feet. Trolled slowly at 1.5 mph gps. We varied the lead lengths to the planer boards to change depth. Seemed like purples and pinks were hot colors for us. Took only a couple pics for some reason. Try to do better in a few weeks when we go back .
I forgot to add that we cut the fish up and ate it. It was delicious deep fried. I thought it would be terrible but I found out I like small mouth bass. Really bright white flesh and fine grained. Mild taste also, will do it again if we get a chance.

My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmik34, dogsbestfriend, Pikesmith, badredram, Wallin, Ltrain, Paul Pogo - Reel Therapy

Last edit: by Steelie Don.

Lake Erie May 7-10 May 13, 2024 12:31 pm #39380

• badredram
  • badredram's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 239
Trip didnt turn out too bad despite the crazy winds. We got in Tuesday afternoon and got to fish for about 2 hours before storms ran us off lake. Wednesday was nice weather wise. Got limits on that day. Winds turned out of the NNE hard on Thursday and Friday. We were able to fish near Catawba due to the peninsula protecting us from crazy waves. Still managed to put fish in the boat. Looking forward to our next trip in November.
>2014 Alumacraft Dominator 185 Black/White - "Tin Star"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steelie Don, Pikesmith, Paul Pogo - Reel Therapy

Lake Erie May 7-10 May 13, 2024 7:41 pm #39382

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 516
Good job on the trip. Erie is a frustrating lake to fish. Not so hard to catch fish it seems just tougher to actually get to go fishing. We need to learn how to avoid the waves by finding alternative protected areas. Did you just pull crank baits? Wondering if the scorpion spoons off dipsies were taking fish? Use Bandits, Flicker Minnows, Deep Tail Dancers, or even Deep Husky Jerks? Seems like the Bandits are the default choice. 
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

Lake Erie May 7-10 May 13, 2024 9:24 pm #39383

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 353
Congratulations!

Lake Erie May 7-10 May 16, 2024 3:43 pm #39394

• Ltrain
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 294
Winds have been frustrating out there for sure- 3 rough days then one good day then two more rough ones.  Canceled a couple trips already.  Going to go in the summer time for the first time ever,this year- pulling spoons on dipsys . Never been there past May so that should be interesting. 
Also going to head there in the fall when the big girls come back. 
200hp Tohatsu
9.9hp Tohatsu
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 Li batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 tabs
Traxstech 72" , Berts 24" tracks
2 Big Jon Capt packs
MK 15' Talon
Lowrance autopilot

• Page: