• Page:

TOPIC:

Walleye chop needed! May 22, 2024 4:10 am #39432

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1414
My crew and I are on our annual pre-memorial day Lake Erie trip. First three days we were blessed with slick calm conditions. Love the boat ride, but makes the fishing tough. First afternoon we scouted several spots, set up in two of them and caught a dozen fish so we had a decent catch and a game plan. Next day, there was decent bite in the early morning but that died quickly when the sun got high enough to shine into the depths. We moved to the channel between middle and north bass island, picked up about a 1 mph current and finished our limit there. Not fast, but steady. 
Next day started good with 1 foot chop but that lasted only an hour and went to glassy again. Back to the channel and found a good pick at the east end of it just where the current started to slacken.  
Be careful what you wish for!  Winds 15 to 25 today!  That will make things sporty, for sure. That's one of the reasons we go to the islands. There's always a lee side somewhere!  

The following user(s) said Thank You: Steelie Don, reel fun, Sundevil, edac, Ltrain, LWL, daybreak

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Walleye chop needed! May 24, 2024 7:15 am #39447

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1414
We got the chop!  Wednesday featured 20 mph winds on the average, I'd guess. We told the wives we'd hold it to a half day at best and take them to lunch. We pulled 18 walleyes in the lee of Middle Bass by 11 am so we booked (and bucked) to our lunch dates. BTW - if anyone spots a gray camo boonie hat floating in Lake Erie, it's mine. Last seen floating towards Pellee Island.   

Next day was perfect. Residual wells were about 2 feet, wind was just enough to put a ripple on them. We'd started just north of Rattlesnake Island the first few days and immediately started marking fish there as we were setting lines. So we'd only shown those fish a few lures as we trolled away from there. So on Thursday morning I started a mile or so west of R-Snake and trolled towards our starting spot.  Action was quick to start and steady henceforth.  We were two short of the limit by 8AM with one fish on a worm-rig with a Berkley Gulp crawler being pulled on a downrigger. Rod in the #1 rod holder doubled down so I grabbed it and eventually boated the biggest fish of the trip, a 27 1/2- incher. Wasn't the last fish however, when a 16" white bass jumped on a Silver Bandit as I was clearing the rods.  

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Steelie Don, reel fun, badredram, Ltrain

Walleye chop needed! May 25, 2024 6:42 pm #39457

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 368
Thanks for the information!
Congratulations!

Walleye chop needed! May 26, 2024 4:00 pm #39467

• Ltrain
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 295
Gotta love Erie..... it gives and it takes...
Between work, the weather and my health , I still haven't been there this year yet. Love reading the reports though.  I'll get there in the summer and I'll report back. 

Nice work out there BN, sounds like you had a good trip. 
200hp Tohatsu
9.9hp Tohatsu
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 Li batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 tabs
Traxstech 72" , Berts 24" tracks
2 Big Jon Capt packs
MK 15' Talon
Lowrance autopilot

• Page: