Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

How safe to eat lakers Feb 27, 2017 12:32 pm #11603

• SafeCracker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 94

I will solve the issue for everyone. The fish in the lake are contaminated, all of them so pull your boats and stay home. I will take care of the reducing the stock all by myself. No more combat fishing around the ditch ya hooo!

All kidding aside, some very good points made but simplified is the way I like it. Mankind has done its best to mess up the world. There isnt much on earth anymore that can't be found by someone to be bad for you then the next week someone else says it the best thing sense mashed taters and gravy. There are warning out there of the possible hazards it is up to the individual to decide on if they are going to abide or ignore. For those who can't decide for themselves, younger children, the parents need to decide. In my case we ate fish out of the lake when I was a kid, all family vacations, holidays, summers, etc. were spent in Northern Michigan fishing in the rivers, lakes, and big Lake. On the back side of 50 now I guess I know what has turned me into the grumpy old man I am, all those Lake Michigan fish dinners. I am a big supporter of properly cleaned fillets theory. But really anything without some sort of moderation is most likely going to be really bad for you? As BN said its ok to eat the fish but the drawn butter will kill ya. Well, next week it will be the new diet fad, the Atkins drawn butter diet. All right enough is enough I gotta go lick some lead paint. See ya on the lake.

Common sense needs to prevail. I think the dangers of investing mercury and PCB's are well documented and not akin to some fad diet. Next month no one is going to say ingesting mercury is good for you.

There are smokers that smoked 2 packs a day for 50 years and don't have lung cancer, that isolated incident does not mean smoking is healthy for you.

The point is to be aware how the fish is prepared, the type of fish, and who is eating it. To dismiss the dangers, especially to children and women of childbearing age, irresponsible.
Greg ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MC_angler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How safe to eat lakers Feb 27, 2017 1:06 pm #11606

• Regulator
  • Thank you received: 29
I agree with you in spirit Brother Nature and I remember when the "do gooders" that you describe did that report and the results appeared biased. The rumor as I remember was that they ground up the whole fish prior to testing. However, the advisory guidelines, at least in MI, are now created by a state agency. Their guidelines state that they only use filets that are often skinned. Even after filleting and skinning, they are still are stating no or limited consumption in many cases. As far as the charter study that you refer to, I think it's fair to say that they have a pretty big conflict there, right? I still eat a decent amount of smoked lakers and I am comfortable with the risk. In the end, we live in a very litigious world and I wouldn't want to give somebody a bag full of fish that a state agency says you should not eat. I'm not a lawyer but I don't think that your risk comparisons would hold up.

How safe to eat lakers Feb 27, 2017 1:10 pm #11607

• netminder34
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
OK so I guess you didnt really read what was written. As I stated "It is up to the Individual to decide and if they can not, children, then the parents need to decide". So to say that I am irresponsible, I seem to have an issue with that. It was ment to be a humorus post as no one can ever seem to decide on what is healthy naturally or humanly influenced as you pointed out with drinking water. I have been a long running member of the southend boards, enjoyed meeting and talking with all over the years. See ya down the road, I'm done.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"

How safe to eat lakers Feb 27, 2017 3:23 pm #11608

• SafeCracker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Well that's taken out of context. I was speaking in generalities. Not meant as an attack. Sorry if you took it that way.

Last edit: by SafeCracker.

How safe to eat lakers Feb 27, 2017 3:46 pm #11609

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
Let's all take a deep breath here. This was going as a great thread. I have personally spoken with safecracker his comment was not meant as a personal attack. Tho I can see how choice of a few words can broadcast that. Let there be no hard fellings here. Most of what this thread is on opinion and very few vague facts. Let's keep it clean and keep it going some have brought up some very good points for other ones that may not have a opinion.
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.

Last edit: by Angry Pirate.

How safe to eat lakers Feb 27, 2017 3:51 pm #11610

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1721
OK fellas, lets keep things on topic as it has been a good discussion going. Alot of good information has been passed back and forth, and as with many topics over time we all have our thoughts that we share with each other.

One thing we all share and can agree on is a passion for this lake and what she offers. :cheer:

Personally I'm a ford guy :)
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.

How safe to eat lakers Feb 27, 2017 4:04 pm #11611

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
Dodge is better :P
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split

How safe to eat lakers Feb 27, 2017 4:53 pm #11614

• northwind
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 203
If we get another snow storm this year. And you guys get stuck. Let me know. I will come pull you out with my new silverado. :P :cheer:
WICKED IV
26ft BW Conquest
Twin 200HP Outboards

How safe to eat lakers Feb 27, 2017 4:59 pm #11615

• SafeCracker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

If we get another snow storm this year. And you guys get stuck. Let me know. I will come pull you out with my new silverado. :P :cheer:

This guy is alright. B)

How safe to eat lakers Feb 27, 2017 5:04 pm #11616

• MC_angler
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1267

Dodge is better :P

at what, rusting out? ;)

Getting back to topic, here is the portal for Indiana fish consumption stuff
www.in.gov/isdh/23650.htm