Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

3/18 1st timer Mar 21, 2018 11:37 am #18209

• G3 angler
  • G3 angler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
Headed out of EC about 10 AM on Sunday, first time out for the Coho's.....

Did okay, went 2/4 all hits on flatlined wigglers (no takers on J9/11 or thin fins), fished Gary Light and the wall at Inland, and took those tasty little guys home for a meal, got me some big time brownie points with the girlfriend! :)

The day left me with a couple questions as I was driving around in circles....

1) what type of depths do you setup a full spread (5 rods in my 17' boat) when you are searching?
2) is there a good rule of thumb for line lengths vs. depth when using keel weights?
3) what is the best channel to monitor/report the VHF?
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.....

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by G3 angler.

3/18 1st timer Mar 21, 2018 12:47 pm #18210

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1684
I think everyone will have a bit of a different answer, so heres mine:

1) what type of depths do you setup a full spread (5 rods in my 17' boat) when you are searching?
Assuming you mean bait depths - a few feet below the surface down to 15' or so
2) is there a good rule of thumb for line lengths vs. depth when using keel weights?
I would guess there are charts out there and somone else can comment on what is typical, however I dont think its all that critical for coho. Most use keel weights to get baits a little deeper than they would normally go. I personally rarely use keel weights, rather I use baits that will get to the depth I want without keel weights.
3) what is the best channel to monitor/report the VHF?
68 is the most common

One of the more important factors in making sure you are running the appropriate speed for bait action.
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: G3 angler

Last edit: by Dirty.

3/18 1st timer Mar 21, 2018 1:03 pm #18211

• G3 angler
Thanks Dirty, I look forward to hearing the different responses!

How do you pull dodgers and flies?

3/18 1st timer Mar 21, 2018 1:26 pm #18212

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I dont often run them, but when I do, I will use a rigger, dipsy, or keel weight off a board.
Boatless!

3/18 1st timer Mar 21, 2018 5:08 pm #18214

• Jums
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 117
Keel weights are often used on my boat if you have a smartphone you can download an app called Precision Trolling and download keel weights under the name offshore tackle for a mere 99 Cents. Or if you can tell me what depth you want to put the lure down and what size weight you use I can tell you how far back. There is no real rule of thumb with them because how you run them, what lures you are using and weight of them all plays a part.
Handle- "Firefly"
2009 Hewes Craft Sea Runner 200
2016 Alumacraft Competitor 175

3/18 1st timer Mar 21, 2018 6:51 pm #18216

• BigEdV
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Winter Maintenance
  • Thank you received: 361
I am running a 17.5' boat. This past Sunday I ran all poles with 30' of Fluorocarbon line leaders. on the furthest out boards I have 3/8 keel weights, second furthest out I have 1/2 trolling weights and on the inside poles I run 5/8 keel. I put the boards on right at the 30' mark where my leader knot is at. for the inside flat lines I ran them out from 40' to 90' out but only had two hits on them and I lost both. Sunday I want 10 for 13 on my shake down. For Spring coho you don't have to go deep.
-Eddo-

2014 Alumacraft competitor 175 aka "The Geek Squad"

Last edit: by BigEdV.

3/18 1st timer Mar 21, 2018 8:15 pm #18220

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 516

I dont often run them, but when I do, I will use a rigger, dipsy, or keel weight off a board.

I don't use them either. I vary line lengths from boards by 25 feet each. I like to start at 50 back on the outside board then 75 and so on. I also like to run two or three colors of lead when using shallow runners to get them deeper. A five color makes a good gunner down the chute in the spring. I pick up browns and steelies often. A downrigger is also a great means of setting lures at depth. Even small dipsies can be used in the spring to get spoons, cranks, or dodger/fly combos in the zone. Good luck.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

3/18 1st timer Mar 21, 2018 9:12 pm #18221

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I start every day (coho fishing) with flat lines on boards and riggers and / or dipsys being a bit deeper. With that being said, I will have baits that run 2' under the surface to baits that run 12-15' down. - Anywhere from 50-75' back. If for whatever reason I determine I need keel weights, I add them to be more productive. I pay attention to my hits, and watch my graph - no need to overthink it this time of the year.

I always start with the premise that the coho are ultra aggressive, and higher in the water column due to warm water at the surface. If that is not working well, then adjust.
Boatless!

3/18 1st timer Mar 22, 2018 8:12 am #18224

• reel fun
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 212

I start every day (coho fishing) with flat lines on boards and riggers and / or dipsys being a bit deeper. With that being said, I will have baits that run 2' under the surface to baits that run 12-15' down. - Anywhere from 50-75' back. If for whatever reason I determine I need keel weights, I add them to be more productive. I pay attention to my hits, and watch my graph - no need to overthink it this time of the year.

I always start with the premise that the coho are ultra aggressive, and higher in the water column due to warm water at the surface. If that is not working well, then adjust.

This is a excellent summary that jeff wrote

3/18 1st timer Mar 22, 2018 9:20 am #18225

• G3 angler
Thanks for all the replies!

I appreciate just hearing how you approach it so I can learn and begin to setup a program and pattern that works for me!

Turns out I was running stuff way deeper than I needed to, and missed the top if the water column!

• Page: