TOPIC:

July 29th, 2017 Summer Open Tournament Aug 20, 2017 6:10 pm #16117

• SafeCracker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 94

I don't think the lake was dangerous but maybe it opens our eyes a little

Dangerous..no.

But how many boats were able to make it to where they wanted to fish? I know you couldn't even with extra fuel. My guess is not even half the boats did.

The open bow boats don't fair the same as a closed bow that can trim down and plow through.
Greg ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :woohoo:
The topic has been locked.

July 29th, 2017 Summer Open Tournament Aug 20, 2017 6:31 pm #16118

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1699
Almost all tournaments have a back up day. If back up day is a no go then a reshedule or just drop that one out. So was there a reschedule day for this one? would today have been a much wiser choice? These are suppose to be for everyone to fun fish in. I understand in the real big tournaments the problem with reschedule issues. But for a fun tournament?????
Who makes the call when is it advisable? Was some of this discussed ? Why when the weather was so much better for today and known ahead of time. If the prize was 10 bucks a hot dog and a pat on the back, and you had the option to fish saturday or sunday knowing your gonna travel 30+, what day would you have picked?
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

July 29th, 2017 Summer Open Tournament Aug 20, 2017 7:33 pm #16120

• raven
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 73
Unless you have 30ft plus boat fishing in late July through August fishing is at least 15 plus miles or as here 25 plus miles. So the simple solution would be to scratch anything in these months since the fish at this time of year are out of range for must or just make shore everyone knows these are not great fishing months in close at this time. Making one in spring, around first week in July and September theres your in close tournaments which are better for the in shore fisherman. Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split
Last edit: by raven.

July 29th, 2017 Summer Open Tournament Aug 20, 2017 8:47 pm #16122

• Dirty
  • Dirty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1647

Almost all tournaments have a back up day. If back up day is a no go then a reshedule or just drop that one out. So was there a reschedule day for this one? would today have been a much wiser choice? These are suppose to be for everyone to fun fish in. I understand in the real big tournaments the problem with reschedule issues. But for a fun tournament?????
Who makes the call when is it advisable? Was some of this discussed ? Why when the weather was so much better for today and known ahead of time. If the prize was 10 bucks a hot dog and a pat on the back, and you had the option to fish saturday or sunday knowing your gonna travel 30+, what day would you have picked?

Ed,
There is always a solution to a problem. A solution might be to discuss this, and not have a tourny late in the year as Raven suggested. Smart idea. Find ways to make things better when things have not turned out how we anticipated. However you have elected to publicly chastise. While I appreciate your concern, there are a few facts here.

1) You were part of the committee that made the 3 foot over and under rule, consistent with the coho club. We followed this guideline in this tournament.
2) You were part of the committee that wanted to have an end of year tournament on this date.
3) You were the only moderator not to show up at registration to assist or discuss what was going on.

Ultimately I am being treated as if this was my singular decision when it is a group effort to do the right thing. Do I have a larger role in the decision? Yes probably so by default, but its still a group decision. 4 out 4 moderators at registration decided it was a go. I spoke to you on the phone at that time, and you said it was pretty windy, but yet still never suggested that we should not do the tournament at that time. While none of us were thrilled about the waves to start, nobody suggested at 5am that we move the tournament to sunday. Not one single person.

I am glad we had a few new guys onboard that had a good time even though conditions were tough to start, and fishing tougher. The tournament was certainly challenging and in hindsight, some changes are needed to keep things fun.

The back half of this thread is disappointing, and honestly quite embarrassing. We moderators should be focused on tweaking our decisions to make things better instead of pointing fingers. There is no need to continue this discussion. Lets focus our efforts in making the events better instead of bickering.
Boatless!
Last edit: by Dirty.

July 29th, 2017 Summer Open Tournament Aug 21, 2017 6:45 am #16132

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1699
I left you a phone message letting you know I would not be at weigh in due to my son hitting his head which might have been serious. Did you not let the others know?
I also called out on the radio that there was some serious wind as I was at the mouth checking things out never a reply. Thought it was a smart thing to do, checking the weather and letting others know so a deision could of been made.I sat and watched everyone go past and never heard from anyone so actually Jeff, I was the last man out. But my fault as I will from now on make better decisions when it comes to my boat, family and equipment. Still haven't heard why Sunday wasn't doable when there was phone conversations. As I remember the date for this tourney couldn't be pushed back because of other tournaments some of which you wanted to fish in. 1st or 2nd week in sept. is when the close in fishing for kings is best.
3ft rule??????
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away
Last edit: by Lickety-Split.